Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Waiting for the Signal

After three years of living in Jackson Ward, I finally committed to being part of the decision-making group by attending the JW Civic Association meeting tonight.

They were nothing if not welcoming and I met a host of neighbors I'd not met before, who introduced themselves and enthusiastically sought out my input on a number of local issues.

I am looking forward to making choices about neighborhood options as we move forward.

Hey, who finally got the big "Road Construction Ahead" sign off our block after it stood there for a year beyond the work's completion date?

That's right.

Afterwards, I headed out to support a local business, as did several other meeting participants.

I was meeting up with Andrew, he of the improved physique and stellar love life, to catch up on men, holidays and music.

As a writer for a local niche website, I thought he might want to inform his constituency about a hot new place and, in fact, he did.

The B at B impressed him with its excellent food (he had the Gouda burger; I had the bruschetta for the first time), creative pink tequila shooters (the bartender's idea, not ours) and reasonable prices.

I was rewarded with tales of girl kissing (!) and stripping on the beach; I had nothing nearly as good to offer, but I'm working on it.

I ran into a nearby gallery owner who was just discovering the place with a friend for the first time, another local bartender with whom I'd broken bread and his friend from whom I'd borrowed a book for vacation, and even got the history of the B@ B's talented chef (trained in San Francisco, worked at the Frebnch Laundry and a computer geek to boot).

I hear that a couple of the staff are now an item, too.

Civic responsibilities: check. Local business boostering: check. Catching up with friend: check.

All missions accomplished for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment