Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Final Three

Tonight was Lee's last night cooking so, of course, he outdid himself. Buffalo-style sweetbreads with ranch dressing and celery salad, roasted bone marrow with toasted bread and fresh greens, and cured foie gras with strawberry compote made up my dinner and I couldn't even tell you which was the most impressive because they were all so incredibly good.

It was interesting, too, to note who came to pay homage to Lee (in his Lynyrd Skynyrd t-shirt and taking crap for it) on his last evening. Let's just say he was mightily impressed when I told him my story of having seen Skynrd as a drunken opening band too many years ago. Who'd have thought Lee could envy me anything?

Met the new chef, Phillip Denny from Philadelphia, and he seems quite charming. It'll be interesting to see how he picks up Lee's mantle and carries on.

As for Lee, I'm really going to miss this man's cooking now that he will be doing it in Staunton. Plans for a road trip are already in the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment