Sunday, September 20, 2009

Velocity Girl*

Since I never gave in and joined the masses by getting a cell phone, I've taken a boatload of crap from friends (and family) over the years about being unreachable.

It drives people crazy that they can't just call me when they want me. I like to remind them that they can e-mail me or message me on Facebook and I always respond, but no one I know finds that an acceptable method of communication.

The fact is, I hate the phone and don't have any desire to be reachable 24/7.

So you can imagine my surprise when a friend (acquaintance? neighbor?) accused me of being just as connected as people with cells because I have a blog and am on Facebook.

I told him that I had friends who would consider those fighting words when it comes to me. As one good friend responded, "Clearly he's never tried to get hold of you in the evening."

And it's true; once I leave the house to begin my evening, you'd have to run into me physically to talk to me.

Being outside the connected mainstream doesn't necessarily make me a bad person (maybe slightly old school). Back in the mid-90s, long before everyone carried their own phone, I bought a t-shirt with a 1950s- looking guy pictured, pointing and saying, "I'm out of the loop and that's the way I like it."

The more things change, the more they stay the same...for some of us. So what?

(*With apologies to Sarah Shannon, whose voice I love. No comparison between Sarah and me was intended.)

3 comments:

  1. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you."
    - George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be gotten, no doubt...but only at the point that I have absolutely no other option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you like sarah shannon you should use that song of hers for your theme song--
    Are you far enough?

    great song and those words kind of say it all, eh?

    lol

    jmm

    ReplyDelete