Sunday, September 6, 2009

Can You Hear the Beat?

Few things can entice me to go to southside; I generally start hyperventilating as I begin to cross the river.

However, I wouldn't have missed Lee Gregory's going away dinner party for anything, so Extroverted Gemini, her Paramour and I met up and headed out to Ghengis Khan Mongolian Grill (turns out Lee is a huge fan of cheap food...he also loves Taco Bell).

To give you an idea of the grandeur of the occasion, Alyssa, the vegetarian, ate meat as a tribute to Lee. And by meat, I mean 3 plates worth of grilled meat and veggies; her digestive system is going to hate her tonight.

For the rest of us, it was sort of bittersweet, saying so long to such a great and talented guy.

Bonus thrill of the evening: seeing Lee minus the ever-present hat and in a real shirt. He cleaned up nicely.

I followed up that with music at the Camel, stopping by on my way home to hear The Pharmacy, a New Orleans trio that leans toward psychedelic poppy punk.

They were a lot of fun with clever but ultimately smart songs, melodic enough to suck you in and short enough not to challenge the audience (not that I mind being challenged).

My only complaint was how short their set was.

Listen to me, always wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment