Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Up On the Roof Again

The theme for the day was trains, as I met up with the handsome and happy Scott for lunch and assorted afternoon activities.

We met at the Railway Deli, downtown and a block from his place, because it was new to me.

I had no idea what to expect, so I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer number of lunching choices in the larger-than-anticipated space: pizza, paninis, salads, subs, pasta, wraps and god knows what else I didn't even notice.

It was obviously a worker bee lunch place at noon, with men in suits ogling women in sundresses, not that I was complaining.

We took advantage of the lovely weather by eating at an outside table in the shade, only to discover that the corner of 14th and Virginia is undoubtedly the loudest intersection in the city.

Between Harleys, crotch rockets, trains and trucks, it was tough to have a continuous conversation for long, so we mostly just ate.

Not really needing an excuse to jaywalk, we did anyway and crossed over to La Diff to browse and do some catching up.

We were overdue for ex updates, new boy stories and picture sharing.

Meanwhile, we walked barefoot on rugs made of recycled silk ties, rocked ourselves suggestively in the Swing Glide chair (absolutely amazing, holds 450 pounds and only $4000) and tried out backless bar stools (a really poor idea, we decided).

These Four Walls followed with teak root chair sitting, goat milk lotion rubbing, Manly Man soap sniffing and Scott discovering a chair marked down from $800 to less than $200 that he absolutely must have.

It looked like a Scott chair, too.

I hadn't seen his apartment of a month at the Lofts at the Canal Walk yet, so that was our final stop.

He has terrific views from his windows, but the stop-you-in-your-tracks views came once we went up to the 8th floor roof.

I'm a sucker for heights with views and earlier this year had thrilled to lighthouse and cathedral roof views, both outstanding, but that was out of town so it wasn't like I could pick out landmarks from up above.

From Scott's roof, I had a 360 degree view of RVA in all directions.

A four-engine train pulling 71 cars passed by as we counted cars and watched it disappear into the distance.

Besides views, his place has a big courtyard pool...but since someone neglected to tell me to bring my bathing suit, I'll be going back very soon to partake of that particular pleasure.

But I think I'll do it in the evening so I can also take in those heady views with the lights of night to glam it up.

It'll be harder to count train cars, but I'm thinking there will be enough visual trade-off to make it well worth my while.

I can let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment