Monday, September 14, 2009

That's A Good Start?

I was out walking my dog and as I rounded the corner to my block, I noticed a guy across the street talking on his phone. All of a sudden, he started talking really loudly into his phone.

"THERE'S THE MOST AMAZING WOMAN WALKING DOWN THE STREET!"

I'm feeling badly for the person on the other end because this guy is seriously shouting. But for my part, there's no way to respond to that, so the dog and I keep walking.

"SHE MUST BE MARRIED BECAUSE SHE HAS A LITTLE DOG!"

Since when is there a correlation between dog size and marital status? And, just to be clear, my beagle is no purse dog; he's 17" high and weighs 25 pounds. He's no killer, but he's no yippy dog, either. But the nonsensical nature of what he's saying makes me smile inadvertently and that must have been his goal.

"YOU JUST MADE MY DAY! THANK YOU!"

Without missing a beat, I turned and yelled right back, "NO, YOU JUST MADE MINE!"

And walked on, still pitying the poor soul on on the other end of that call...and fervently hoping this guy isn't a new neighbor. Awkward.

1 comment: