Sunday, September 27, 2009

Pop A Squat

How much time can one person spend sitting on their ass in a day?

Well, if you're talking about me and how I spent today, pretty much all of it.

First off I met friends at the Bowtie to see Hitchcock's "Rear Window," a movie I had never seen on the big screen.

Seeing it full size for the first time was the perfect analogy for Jimmy Stewart's nosey neighbor-watching in the film; there was so much more to see with a better view.

It was the restored version, too, so the color was absolutely beautiful; it showed in every detail of every scene.

This afternoon, I went to the Firehouse for their pick-your-price performance of "Boys' Life," which has gotten rave reviews from critics and been recommended by several friends.

I wasn't the least surprised at how strong Joe Carlson's performance was; he had already impressed me in several plays just this summer alone.

He had cut his hair for the role and completely inhabited the witty and immature Jack character. Our seats were in the front row and unbeknownst to me, all the seats had been replaced since I'd last been to the Firehouse. The uncomfortable and very squeaky chairs of yore are gone, so what was another two hours seated?

Coincidentally, my final event of the evening was also at the Firehouse: Project Resolution, the monthly showing and forum for local filmmakers and fans.

The first half of the program is devoted to shorts (5 minutes or less) and the audience offers critique and comments to the director after each.

The second half features a longer film (20-30 minutes) and tonight it was Joey Tran's "The Cyclist."

I find it fascinating to hear the audience's knowledgeable feedback (most are filmmakers and/or film geeks) and observe how the directors handle the opinions offered. Most seem to appreciate it; others become nothing less than snarky.

P-Res always does a raffle, usually of DVDs and tonight I was the lucky recipient of "Talladega Nights," a film I will never watch (I don't have a TV or any desire to see it), but who doesn't love winning something random?

Or supporting a local event I frequently attend?

And, by this point, what was a few more hours with my butt firmly planted?

No comments:

Post a Comment