Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Nate's Taco Truck Meets Sally Belle's

I was way overdue to try Nate's Taco Truck and with a day as beautiful as today, it was the perfect opportunity to join the line at Linden/Park/Grove and change that.

I debated as I made my way to the front of the line: tacos? quesadilla?

Or give in and have what I'd been told was Nate's piece de resistance, Frito Pie?

We're talking a bag of Fritos topped with pinto beans, shredded beef, cheese, lettuce, salsa and sour cream.

Lunch in a bag!

I had no choice because the Fritos were calling to me, so I ordered this $4.00 bag o' goodness, did my best to stir its contents and was rewarded with a melange of flavors with just enough salty, crispy goodness under perfectly cooked beef and beans to satisfy the most discerning palate (that would not be me, btw).

I find it absolutely necessary to follow salty with sweet, so I took my stuffed self a few blocks north to Sally Belle's Kitchen for a traditional Richmond upside-down cupcake (chocolate on chocolate, as it happened).

Sally Belle's is as old school as Nate's is new wave and standing inside that Grace Street institution, you lose all sense of the real world outside (a metaphor for rva in general, perhaps?).

I swear, those women who work the counter there have been there since Sally Belle's opened...not that that's a bad thing.

Might I suggest that the next time you have a hankering to enjoy lunch outside in the VCU area you consider Nate's (the Sally Belle stop is up to you)?

This is a guy who really enjoys his cooking (just ask him) and it comes through in every delicious bite.

For you health-conscious types, Fritos are optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment