Saturday, September 12, 2009

I Heart Polyface Farm

The Byrd House Market is usually my farmer's market of choice, but I finally gave in to the siren song of Polyface Farms' stand at the St. Stephen's farmer's market today. I've seen their meat on restaurant menus (just last weekend, Blue Mountain Brewery had a pizza with their sausage on the special menu) and it's always the most amazing tasting meat you've ever put in your mouth.

Foolishly, I stayed out late last night and slept in this morning, so by the time I arrived, they were sold out of the bacon and sausage I so desperately wanted. I did get my eggs and just let me tell you, there is no comparison between grocery store eggs and their pastured eggs. To make up for my disappointment, Wendy did take my order for multiple pounds of their bacon and sausage, so I only have to wait 7 days to enjoy a pure Pigaerator Pork breakfast.

Last year, Polyface raised 500 turkeys for the holiday season and sold out quickly; this year they're doing 1800 and I have no doubt that the same thing will happen. Lucky me, mine is already on order.

Polyface has been lauded for its non-industrial food production methods by everyone in the food and restaurant industry who matters. I'm just an average consumer who can taste the difference and respects what they are accomplishing. And then there's their attitude; my favorite Polyface quote is, "Respecting and honoring the pigness of the pig is a foundation for societal
health." That's the society I want to be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment