Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Music Geeks, Listen Up!

Go see "It Might Get Loud" on the big screen at the Westhampton this week. I don't care if Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White are not your favorite guitarists; they're not mine either. Go see this documentary about the guitar because there are moments in it that will grab any true music lover and remind you what made you a music geek in the first place.

Go for the vintage concert footage, the photographs of these bands as young men, the distillation of the creative process, and the complete hero worship on the faces of the Edge and White when Page starts playing for them. Go for the bloody guitar, the ancient four-track tapes played in a kitchen and to see what band's TV performance gave U2 hope for the future of music (I love you, too, Paul Weller). Go to see some extremely unique guitars.

I went with a musician friend so I could ask stupid non-musician questions I knew I'd have afterwards. He loved the film and he understood all of it; a lot of it was beyond my musical comprehension and I loved it just as much.

Go see "It Might Get Loud." You can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment