Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Awake and Barely on My Feet

The dreams that wake you up in the wee hours or the ones you experience just before you wake up in the morning are never the fluffy, frivolous type dreams, at least in my experience.

It's never the being chased, or sliding backwards down a hill or nonsense like that sort of dreams, not for me anyway.

No, it's always the deep, subconscious kind of dreams that force you awake.

The kind of dreams where you're having conversations that you'd never have in real life.

The kind of words that must have been lurking in your subconscious all along but don't actually cross your lips.

But go to sleep, boy, and all of a sudden you're over-sharing and the dream people are responding completely unlike themselves (or maybe like themselves; who knows?).

The kind of dream where you wake up and for a few minutes, you actually believe the conversation happened and you're suffused with a happiness or sadness for no good reason.

A quick adjustment to reality and you file it away in the crazy dream part of the brain, maybe even relieved that you didn't actually say those thing out loud.

I'm not sure what causes the nervy part of my brain to move to the forefront once I check out, but it's always fascinating to see who I direct my secret thoughts at and what I choose to say when there are no possible repercussions.

I think some of the recipients of my dream conversations might be very surprised at what I'd say if social convention didn't relegate my real thoughts to dreamland.

2 comments:

  1. I see you've been dreaming of me again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its being that sad which makes you have those dreams. Beleive me, you'll be dreaming about him for a long time. Just accept it.

    ReplyDelete