Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's Complicated

You have to love a restaurant where you walk in and the first thing the bartender says is,"I was going to e-mail you and tell you to come worship at my altar." The man was right; I was overdue at Tarrant's anyway, my recent visits having been during the daytime when he doesn't work. And given that this fine bartender and I go back to last summer at least, it was a pleasure to spend some time in his company tonight. We'd recently run into each other at another local spot, reminding me that I enjoy conversation with him.

He told me about an interesting sounding class he's taking (knowing I'm a geek, too) and that he'd taken my recommendation to visit the Chimborazo Medical Museum (I think he liked it as much as I do). We'd seen different late summer movies and compared notes. He even graciously gave me a heads up and a big smile when undesirables approached the restaurant (and thankfully kept on going).

Had I not had somewhere to be at 8, I could have wiled away several very content hours catching up with my friend while he worked. Next time I'll stay longer and play barfly; that'll give him something to e-mail me about.

5 comments:

  1. Past his prime. Obviously. The "anti hipster" sounds much more interesting. Probably works somewhere with superior food as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Anonymous,I don't know which is more flattering: that you follow my blog so closely that you know the characters in my life or that you find my blog so fascinating that you're reading it at 3 a.m. or that I wrote something interesting enough to make you comment.
    And, btw, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get it... who is the "anti-hipster"and who's past his prime? I'm so confused....
    signed: laughing at VCU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Tarrant's. Partially because it's non smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I like the non-smoking part, too, but it's right in the neighborhood for me and they're opne when none of the other neighborhood restaurants are: Saturday lunch and Sunday dinner. And that white pizza rules.

    Now that you can see a picture of what my backside looks like, I should be easy to spot at the bar.

    ReplyDelete