Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

InLight, 1708 Gallery's 2nd Annual annniversary display, turned out to be both more and less than expected.

The three blocks of Broad and Grace from 5th to 8th were alive tonight with outdoor light-inspired art.

Some of it, like the installations at the plaza on the east side of the federal courthouse were imaginative and engaging.

I loved "Reach," a motorized contraption with halogen lights moving in a spider-like motion as viewers moved beneath.

But without question, my favorite was "Tomorrow Stood Just Outside the Circle From Where the Light Did Shine," a collection of black dress shoes with cut-outs illuminated from within and words written on the soles, all hanging across Grace Street.

It was ghostly and captivating at the same time.

There were plenty of interesting light installations, but nothing with the impact of last year's Jackson Ward house, as defined by light.

That 3-D recreation of an 18th century row house using only lights set a standard that may never be exceeded for this exhibit, IMHO.

As if pre-determined by fate, I followed InLight with dinner at the Belvidere at Broad, where I enjoyed seeing any number of fascinating locals.

I knew I'd be seeing Katie, last night's wine rep and bourbon buddy (and her charming farmer friend) again, but also saw Karen of Now Sleepyhead (looking lovely, as always) and Nate, who was performing outside the restaurant as Gull.

I never miss a chance to see and catch up with Nate; he is, without doubt, one of my favorite music people.

Add into this mix a very married neighbor who came early, sat himself down next to me, and stayed late, despite obvious hints from me to go home to wifey.

Residents of nearby bar stools noticed his inappropriately amorous attempts, but told me afterwards that they weren't certain enough to intervene.

Pity, really, because their meddling could have saved me untold fending off of said neighbor.

They stayed out of it as the neighbor got progressively more inebriated and I got more and more bored.

I came home to messages from two friend wanting to catch up with me earlier tonight, but, alas, it's a bit late at this point.

Maybe I can find someone to have breakfast with me in the morning.

We shall see who turns up.

No comments:

Post a Comment