Sunday, October 25, 2009

Worth the Drive: 2 Amys

What kind of an idiot plans to go to D.C. for lunch on the day of the Marine Corps Marathon? That would be me, of course. But if I hadn't, I wouldn't have seen thousands of runners and walkers spanning the H.O.V. lanes and that was a sea of humanity to behold. I also wouldn't have heard the beautiful and protracted pealing of the National Cathedral's bells as I drove through Cleveland Park. And I wouldn't have seen my friend for the second time in a month, a rare treat for us.

But mainly I wouldn't have had the pleasure of a three-course lunch at 2 Amys (the Neapolitan pizzeria I've been eager to try for ages now) that delighted me and my pizza-loving friend from start to finish. We began with the Potato and Prosciutto Croquettes, creamy and salty inside and fried crunchy on the outside and I'll admit I ate more than he did.

We each ordered a pizza; his was the Margherita (tomato, mozzarella di bufala, basil) with pepperoni and mine was the No Amys (white pizza) with mozzarella and pepperoni. Great pizza starts with great dough and this was just excellent, thin and crisp with thicker edges and a wonderful flavor. The pepperoni was sliced to varying thicknesses and each piece curled up in the extreme heat of the oven to form a perfect little cup glazed with the meat's oil; that's how pepperoni should be, if you ask me.

Neither of us was able to finish more than half of our pizzas (that's what boxes are for), but that didn't prevent us from ordering one of the doughnuts (and holes) of the day; they're only made on Saturdays and Sundays and today's flavor was cinnamon and brown sugar. Good god, it was delicious...if you like fresh made doughnuts, that is. They keep them on a tray on the hostess table right up front (with a sign saying to keep your mitts off) as you come in just to tempt people like us. Well done.

The marathon made it challenging getting in and out of Washington today, but it was worth every detour and inconvenience for the Neapolitan pleasure of 2 Amys. Plus I've got a box with the other half of my pizza sitting in the frig, ready to be enjoyed at any time to revive the memories of that great lunch with the friend who always makes me laugh.

2 comments:

  1. Anyone who's been around you for a while knows what a wonderful laugh you have. Don't stop laughing.



    gabake01

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing, like smiling, is just one of those things I seem to do a lot of. My top priority in a partner has always been someone who makes me laugh. There's nothing as good as that.

    ReplyDelete