Friday, October 23, 2009

What is it About Shorts?

I've come to a conclusion: shorts embolden people, especially those of the male persuasion.

I haven't done a scientific study or anything like that, but I think I have enough anecdotal evidence to support my hypothesis.

When the weather turned abruptly cold last week, out of necessity I switched to yoga pants for my daily walk.

But the last couple of days, the pants seemed a bit much, so I decide to go with shorts today instead.

I was a tad cool at first, but once I got going, I knew they were the right choice.

I decided to walk east rather than west, so I brought along my DPU bill to pay on the way.

As I walked by Abner Clay Park, a musician friend whom I see all the time came riding by on his bike, so I said good morning to him.

He didn't even look up immediately; instead his eyes went from my feet, right up the thighs to my hips and then he looked at my face and greeted me by name.

It was classic male stuff.

As I approached City Hall, a man came toward me smiling, so I said good morning.

"You have beautiful legs. Just beautiful! Good morning," he said.

I thanked him, wondering if he makes a habit of complimenting strangers.

Inside the payment office, the clerk called out,"Next," and I approached his station.

Noticing my attire, he asked if I was out for a run or walk and I said I was on my daily walk.

"Well you don't get legs like that without doing something right every day."

He gave me a big smile and handed me my receipt.

So here's my conclusion: shorts rule.

It hasn't been all that long since the weather made shorts-wearing difficult, but if today's responses to a person like me in shorts are any indication, they're already sorely missed.

No further scientific investigation necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment