Monday, October 5, 2009

No e-mail? Just Slit My Wrists

I can live without many so-called necessities: air conditioning, a cell phone, TV, pajamas...but I start to get the shakes when deprived of my e-mail.

Such was the case most of the weekend and I was like a junkie jonesing for relief.

And it wasn't even that I didn't have any Internet across the board.

I could still blog (although I couldn't moderate comments), access my secondary e-mail account (but most anyone that matters uses my primary one) and log on to Facebook to see whose panties were in a wad about what.

But no primary e-mail.

Luckily, a few brave souls picked up the phone.

My best friend from out west called and we talked for an hour.

A good friend called to invite me to spend a beautiful afternoon in Byrd Park and a music geek friend called to salivate over the upcoming Bela Flek show at UR last night (not a single empty seat, nor should there have been for such musical magnificence).

But for someone who craves communication like I do, I still felt cut off.

The bright side was that when I finally was able to get back into my e-mail this morning, it was like Christmas.

All kinds of good things were waiting for me: e-mails from friends wanting to get together this week, comments on my blog posts, an invitation to a wine dinner and, of course, a couple of smart-assed friends just giving me a hard time.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment