Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Welcome Back Lunch at Akida

Back in early January, I went to a going-away party for my friend Jameson, who was leaving with his girlfriend and a friend, planning on spending nine months traveling and wwoofing South America. Since I'd been laid off two weeks earlier, Jameson suggested I join the trip. I declined, citing a significant other and the expectation that I'd be employed again soon. Fast forward six weeks and the S.O. tells me he's "starting to dislike me" after six years; understandably, he was moving on. Fast forward nine months and I'm still looking for work. Clearly I should have gone.

Happily, Jameson was a superb e-correspondent so he wrote me all about their escapades working organic farms (including a Hare Krishna farm), opening a restaurant for locals who wanted "American" eats and all the fun they had discovering new cultures, customs and countries. I updated him on what was going on in rva and all the art, films and music shows he was missing; he wanted to know about everything in great detail, so I delivered.

Jameson finally got back last week and suggested lunch today at Akida, a favorite destination for him because he's a vegetarian. I'd never been, but I'd heard good things about the place from several sushi-loving friends. We both got lunch specials which come with miso soup, salad and rice for $9.95; his was tofu terriyaki and mine was the sashimi/sushi combo, six pieces of each. I had chosen to sit at the sushi bar so as to enjoy seeing my food being prepared while we started catching up. Everything was extremely fresh tasting and beautifully rolled. I can see why devotees of this place rave about it.

Afterwards, we strolled over to Scuffletown Park to bask in the afternoon sun and continue our conversation. Jameson is the creator of the Silent Music Revival, one of my absolute favorite free events in this town; he's also the drummer for Pedals on our Pirate Ships, so he wanted to talk about changes in the music, art and cultural scenes in his absence. There wasn't enough time to talk about everything we wanted to, but fortunately he's back for three months so we'll have more chances to talk up a storm in person again soon (instead of writing it out). Maybe this time he'll convince me to join the big adventure.

2 comments:

  1. understandably? sounds like the loss was his, not yours! love the blog, you write about so much great stuff-i read you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd think so, right? Actually I'm the one feeling the loss and he moved right on. Go figure.
    The pleasure of writing my blog is hearing that people really enjoy reading it, so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete