Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Acacia and Whiskey Wednesday

I over-scheduled myself tonight, but it was completely inadvertent. I had a ticket for the Mellon lecture at VMFA (From Reason to Revolution), I was invited to a cocktail party, I had plans to meet a friend for the Acacia mini-wine dinner and while out walking the dog before all these events, the guys at the nearby group house had invited me to join them on their porch for Whiskey Wednesday (even the beagle was invited). How to decide what to do with so many options?

The first casualty was the Mellon lecture, despite the fact that it happens only once a year. I made it to the cocktail party at which I did my best to dazzle the guests, but had to leave after an hour and a quarter. As I was saying my goodbyes, one of the guys, Eric, asked if I was leaving to go to a hotter party. "Please. Do I look like the hotter party type? " I asked. "Actually, you do," the guy named Joe answered. Not certain, but I think he meant that as a compliment.

Nest up was Acacia Mid-town and I am so glad I made it there to meet up with my friend because Dale never disappoints. Our charming wine host, Carol Colby, guided us through an evening of sheer delights, imparting wine knowledge and shared stories; she mentioned some lovely personal goodies she'd heard about me from my past. We started with a pear, frisee, pecan and confit salmon with lingonberry vinaigrette paired with 2008 M. Chapoutier Cote-du-Rhone Belleruche Rose, a lovely combination. Perhaps most intriguingly, the label was also in Braille. Carol shared the story behind that unusual detail.

We followed that with braised beef ravioli and roasted pumpkin with blackberry port jus and the 2007 b Delas Freres Cotes-du-Ventoux; the combo was amazing. For the third course, my friend and I split the difference and each ordered a different offering. I got the Lamb Bourgongne, chestnuts, figs, roasted pearl onions and buttered house-made noodles paired with the 2006 Jean-Luc Colombo "Les Fees Brunes" Crozes Hermitage AOC. I could have died happy after this course, which tasted like fall on a plate with wine-to-die for as a pairing. She had the lite hickory smoked tuna, garlic, parsley risotto, Madeira sauce with the 2005 Jean-Luc Colombo Les Forots Cotes-du-Rhone. We switched plates and swooned accordingly.

Stuffed beyond belief, we nonetheless ordered dessert because my friend says that no one does desserts like Dale. Needing no convincing, I agreed to Chocolate Chicory Coffee cake with extra virgin olive oil ice cream. cocoa nibs and grated orange zest. She opted for french-press coffee, but I went with another glass of the Crozes Hermitage. Neither of us was disappointed with our choice.

By this time, we were again the final customers, so it was time to move on. As I walked the dog after arriving home, I checked the guys' porch for signs of Whiskey Wednesday, but I had apparently missed the fun. Fortunately, I had had plenty of my own in various other locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment