Saturday, October 24, 2009

Chez Foushee 20th Anniversary Dinner Part Deux

I'd never been to Chez Foushee for anything but lunch; I know they do First Fridays dinners, but I always seem to have other plans.

When they announced their 20th anniversary dinner, a three-course meal for 1989 prices, it seemed like a golden opportunity to pay them a visit.

The dinner was scheduled for October 17th, but both seatings sold out immediately, so they extended it to tonight, hence the "Part Deux" reference.

I invited Beer Geek friend to join me, but he was going to be on the Left Coast, so I made a reservation for one.

Upon arrival, the host asked me my name, I responded and he greeted me like they'd been expecting me all evening.

It was very sweet.

I have to assume it was because I was their only reservation for one all evening.

I was led to a cozy table tucked in an alcove.

If I ever go here with a date, it's the table I would request (it reminded me of a table where I had an intimate meal in London several years ago).

The menu was very basic, but for $20 for three courses, who's going to complain?

They were offering several champagne cocktail specials, but I went with the Graham Beck Brut unadulterated, since it was an anniversary celebration.

The first course was non-negotiable: a mixed green salad with Roma tomatoes, organic carrots, herb-roasted croutons and pear vinaigrette.

Paired with a crusty roll and more butter than I needed, it was a fine start to the meal.

There were two entree choices: sliced seared fillet of beef with red wine reduction or jumbo lump crab cake with parsley Pernod sauce, both accompanied by roasted rosemary potatoes and buttered blanched asparagus.

I'd had red meat last night, so I chose crab tonight.

It was a good-sized crab cake, flavorful and perfectly cooked and the veggies complemented it well.

For dessert, there was lemon butter cake with Melba sauce, a timeless recipe Chez Foushee has been using for its entire 20-year existence and a classic, to be sure.

I've had it before at lunch and it is yummy, sort of like lemon chess pie.

 It tastes very Richmond to me.

But tonight I went with the obvious, the chocolate truffle torte with Chantilly cream, which I couldn't even finish.

I did manage to finish the rest of the Brut somehow, though.

I have to give a mention to the music, both the selection and the volume, because it was so well done that it elevated the entire experience for me.

First of all, it was louder than I've encountered at any other Richmond restaurant.

Not you-can't-hear-your-dinner-partner loud, but more like you were dining in a 1940s movie and they had a band with a girl singer playing throughout the evening kind of a volume.

The music itself was of a continental nature; there was lots of Latin music, especially bossa nova and salsa, French love songs, selections from the classic American songbook and it all contributed to a sophisticated kind of a dining vibe that, to my knowledge, isn't available anywhere here.

I absolutely loved it.

Included with the check was a souvenir of the occasion, a Chez Foushee key chain, in tasteful black and gold.

As I went to leave, the host again spoke to me by name, inquiring after my meal satisfaction and thanking me sincerely for joining them.

Sure, he could have just been marvelling at a solo Saturday night diner, but whatever the reason, it was charming and made for a lovely ending to my meal...and a twenty-dollar meal at that.

Bubbles, of course, were extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment