Monday, October 12, 2009

It's Just Singing

Imagine watching an effeminate 6'4" man with a paunch warble one of the most embarrassing, whiney-ass songs of the '70s: Anne Murray's "I Needed You."

It was a really bad song when she sang it then and it hasn't aged well three decades later sitting in the smoke-filled environs of Penny Lane for karaoke.

Oh, sure, I understand that a big part of the entertainment value of karaoke is the people who sing badly, but I have to say, it's more the pathetically embarrassing song choices (really, Journey? Again?).

Fortunately for me, the friend who took me there has a great voice and chose to sing songs that were post-grunge, so I could at least look forward to him taking the stage.

My vocally talented friend had extended an invitation to take me to dinner first, so I chose Stronghill Dinning Company since I'd not been there in months.

The timing was perfect, because they're in between their summer and fall menus, so there were menu choices representing both seasons on it. I went with the Wedge with gobs of both blue cheese and bacon, and the Stronghill Sushi, quite good with poached lobster at its center. My friend got his strength up with the Stronghill Sampler (stuffed Roma tomatoes, fried goat cheese and cashew fried shrimp) and followed that with the duck. He's not the type to rave about food ("It's just food," he claims) but he ate everything, is all I'm saying.

The karaoke crowd clearly contained a whole lot of regulars, many of whom had "their" songs; it was duly noted when someone had the audacity to sing someone else's song.

I don't sing, so me getting up there wasn't ever an option.

Which is not to say that I don't have a whole lot of respect for those who do...especially those who can actually sing well, like my musical friend.

Ah, talent; must be a lovely thing to possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment