Sunday, October 25, 2009

Marionette at Poe's Pub

Local band Marionette's sound is unlike any other band's in Richmond.

By way of example, I know of no other band for whom I'd attend an 11:30 show at Poe's Pub, which is exactly what I did tonight.

The reasons for this passion are myriad; they include the sheer amount of talent represented in these five musicians, the always-interesting videos projected behind the band for added visual stimulation, the multi-layered sound that defies categorization and the wide array of unusual instruments used by the band to achieve that sound.

It all adds up to something pretty amazing.

Tonight's set featured songs from the last EP as well as new material from the upcoming release.

I got a copy of that CD last month while lunching with guitarist Adam at Black Sheep and it's stellar...organic and a definite indication of how the band has grown.

The CD release show is expected to be next month and I can't suggest strongly enough that those new to the band check them out.

You'll walk away a Marionette convert, I would be willing to bet.

As a bonus, I met up with my friend Andrew (I made a convert out of him years ago) out with a charming friend, so I had terrific company.

The only downside of tonight's show?

It was at Poe's, so I reek of cigarette smoke.

And while I can't even imagine a Poe's Pub without the smoke haze, I'll admit I'm counting the days until December first when that becomes a reality.

In the meantime, I have the Marionette CD to keep me occupied musically.

I probably won't even notice the time flying by.

2 comments:

  1. I want to apply for the position of your official companion. Seems like you're always doing something fun or interesting that I didn't know about or would never think of until you make it sound so great.

    I'm just not sure I could keep up but I'd love trying! ;)

    james b.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment made me smile, james b! A girl can't have too many companions, so apply to join the gang. It's applications for anything more significant than companion that I'm still not ready to consider yet.
    Good to hear you're enjoying the blog, too.

    ReplyDelete