Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Parade Veteran Fans Own Flames

The weather for Richmond's Halloween parade tonight was as warm and humid as that of a New Orleans' Mardi Gras parade.

At least according to several of the participants near me.

We were all in our black "burning building" costumes, complete with cardboard flames for our arms.

Our position in the parade was right behind the stovepipe hats but in front of the red, white and blue cars.

Lily, the master puppet-maker and parade organizer, told us to keep the fires burning, (which I made a point to do despite my arms feeling like lead after the first 45 minutes), although I did notice several other of the burning buildings being a bit lazy about their fires. Just saying.

We left Monroe Park just after 7 and headed into Oregon Hill where the anticipatory crowds awaited us.

This was my third parade in a year and still I'm not used to having photographers jump in front of me to take pictures every few steps.

I must not be a good candidate for being famous and stalked by the paparazzi.

Photographer Ashe Daniel was there, shooting for Brick, and we caught up; I also saw two other photogs I'd met at the recent James River Filmmakers' Forum, one of whom snapped my picture the second I pulled that hot costume off at parade's end.

The caption should read, "Ah, sweet relief!!"

After an hour and a quarter of parading, I needed a treat, so next up was Garnett's for chocolate pecan pie.

The corner spot afforded a little police drama during my dessert respite, with three cop cars screeching to the intersection to arrest someone.

The woman next to me at the counter sipping her to-go cup of water glanced over and nonchalantly commented, "Well, she won't be home 'til Monday."

And somehow, she looked like the type person who would know that.

And now I'm off to Gallery 5 for the Carnival of 5 Fires to have my fortune read, watch the fire performers and listen to the bands.

After all, we get an extra hour tonight to enjoy that big, beautiful moon and whatever it brings.

I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment