Friday, October 9, 2009

Music Lovers' Discography

I had known Andrew superficially for quite some time before that fateful drive to Ashland where I finally tried to find some common ground; of course my first attempt was music. I don't know who was more surprised, me or him, to discover we were both huge Pete Yorn fans (though I'd seen him live more frequently). I started spouting off some of my favorite artists and he became more and more dumbfounded, but the one that pushed him over the edge was Clap Your Hands, Say Yeah. From that moment on, Andrew and I were friends in music.

Since that day several years ago, we have talked music literally every single time we see each other, which is frequently, and been to many, many shows together. No one but Andrew could have shared my excitement at seeing Plushgun at Alley Katz or Ted Leo at Gallery 5 and that's not even going into the countless shows we've seen together at the Camel, the National, the Canal Club, Capital Alehouse and Commercial Taphouse. It's great to have a music loving friend to share with.

Part of our sharing policy is the CD exchange, which we did today over lunch at one of our favorite places to meet, Bistro 27 (although I insisted he order something other than what he got last time , cause this guy can get into a food rut. Grilled Gouda; just saying.). Andrew is a music blogger (concretecircles.blogspot.com) so he gets a lot of sampler CDs which are a great way for us to discover up and coming artists. Today I traded four of my current favorites for five of his; we'll meet up next week to rate what we heard or question the musical sense of the other. After that, we've got another show to go to at the National (just watch us judge the crowd).

And to think we once thought we had nothing in common.

2 comments:

  1. We've also shared a number of terrible we'd rather forget like the crappy rock band at Canal Club or the UofR filled crowd at Gallery 5.

    Plus, if not for you, I would not have never discovered The Stills, Ra Ra Riot, Birdlips, Marionette, Black Kids and many others

    ReplyDelete
  2. If not for me, you would have never discovered the Grilled Gouda at Ipanema and then where would you be? Sometimes you need more than just Stellas, my friend. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete