Friday, October 2, 2009

He Used to be Sad, Now He's Just Bored with Her

My friend Holmes got dumped because he wasn't as romantic as Noah in "The Notebook."

Apparently the woman actually said that to him.

I'd like to say I know what Noah was like except I've never read or seen "The Notebook."

And it wasn't like she'd told him ahead of time that she wanted him to be romantic like Noah, and since he hadn't read or seen it either, he didn't exactly know that he was supposed to measure up to Noah.

Fortunately, he's smart enough to be glad to be rid of a nutcase like that, but it got me thinking.

Since everyone defines romance differently, what are the chances that when two people start out together they'll instinctively know what kind of romance to bring to the table?

And, realistically, how many people state their romantic preferences right up front?

I don't want to come off like a downer here, but, looking forward, how likely is it that I'll meet someone who can figure out how to romance me right?

Holmes thought he was doing just fine until that woman brought him up short.

Tonight was devoted to hearing Holmes' tale of woe; we began the process at my place with old music and a bottle of Famille Peillot 2007 Bugey Pinot Noir (hence the need for the decanter, per wine whiz Julia) so Holmes could share all the gory details.

Holmes loved my wine choice: lots of red fruit, medium-bodied and earthy.

After that we moved on to First Fridays since Holmes had never partaken of the art extravaganza, augmented this month with 2 Street Festival goings-on.

Seriously, Art6 is only allowed to have 20 people in its 2,000 square foot space at a time? Hell, yes, I'll sign your petition.

We concluded at Avalon (which I hadn't been to since June on an ill-fated date; the guy was disappointing, but the food was quite good) with an extended meal of mussels, scallops, rosemary and Parmesan grits, roasted corn, filet mignon and Pinot Gris.

Holmes shared all the little details leading up to The End: the lies, the letter, the weirdness about smooching.

He's decided to put off dating for a while and just hang out with his female friends, since we don't expect any Noah-like behavior out of him.

He joked that he's definitely planning to watch "The Notebook," maybe even take notes in a black and white composition book.

I least I think he was joking.

Men...

No comments:

Post a Comment