Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Keep On Truckin'

Seeing R. Crumb at Center Stage tonight was an exercise in pure enjoyment, a fact confirmed by every person I spoke to afterwards. 

The audience, a mix of those of us who remember Crumb from his humble beginnings to those who have discovered and worshipped him along the way, was reverently quiet in order to hear the man's every word during the hour and half he and Francoise Mouly (The New Yorker Art Editor) sat on stage conversing. 

Using a large screen to display the history of Crumb's works, including the newest, a comix version of "The Book of Genesis," the old friends maintained a fascinating and casual discussion of comic art, work habits, altered perceptions and so much more. 

Among the highlights: On attitude: "Life's not all beer and Skittles." 

 On music: "I only listen to CDs if I can't get the 78." 

On maturation: "Oh, I was a sick puppy when I was young, but I got it out of my system. Now I'm nice." 

On Fritz the Cat: "I tried to kill that character. I did." 

 On past drug experimentation: "Stay sober is my recommendation." 

 The man chuckled at his own humor, took a pratfall coming and going onstage and showed a self-deprecating wit that completely endeared him to the fawning audience. 

The after-party at the Belvidere at Broad - which has an excellent display of some vintage Zap! comix cover art - filled quickly with Crumb attendees eager to continue the conversation about the man who denied being a genius. 

According to him, anyone could accomplish what he had, "assuming they could do the cross-hatching." He claimed he just did what he did with the talent that he had. 

"And I got well-paid," R. Crumb concluded in his understated way.

No comments:

Post a Comment