Monday, October 5, 2009

On the Road Again

That road would be 95 and my destination was D.C. to have lunch with my biggest fan/long-time friend.

I despise driving 95, although, unlike most Richmonders, I enjoy navigating the city once I arrive (it is, after all, my home town).

The traffic gods must have been smiling on me because, for the first time I can remember, I was able to drive the HOV lanes both ways, which makes a huge difference in dealing with the madness, not to mention making better time.

But I will never get used to driving a center road with traffic going in opposite directions on either side of me.

I try not to pay attention to that because it feels a bit surreal, a sensation I don't care for when I'm going that fast.

My destination was that vague area north of Georgetown and south of Tenleytown, an area I know well because I used to grocery shop there when I lived in Dupont Circle.

That tired old Giant store still sits on Wisconsin Avenue and walking by it today was like a blast from the past.

I couldn't believe it had never been renovated; it looked exactly the same as it did when I shopped there in the 80s.

Actually, nearby at the long-closed G.C. Murphy, the store windows were filled with architectural renderings of all the proposed changes for that area, including a fancy new Giant, as befits a neighborhood that has changed hugely since I left.

But every time I'm back up there, I count more cranes and building skeletons going up.

It's a good thing I understand the layout of the city, because entire blocks are now unrecognizable to me as smaller buildings have been replaced with unfamiliar mega-structures.

On the other hand, I'm always up there to have fun and I always succeed, so let them build.

There's something very pleasurable about being able to go home again...even if it is only for a day or a weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Not much to add but a shout out from another ex-Dupont Circler who has relocated to RVA. I still have semi-fond memories of the Soviet Safeway. Thank god I was able to survive on bar food and happy hours. Enjoying your blog, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do. It's great to hear that you like it. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete