Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pork, Beans & A Proposal

I'm a regular at Six Burner because the food is so good and because the staff gives me such a hard time.

It's a combination I can't resist.

But now they've adopted one of my very favorite restaurant practices: offering two sizes of entree portions.

Too often, there's something I'd love to try on the entree menu, but I know I couldn't possibly do it justice.

Tuesday night I partook of the Bucatini Pasta, Pulled Pork Shoulder, Shitake Mushrooms and Pork Jus offering, although if what I got was the small version, I question who could finish the full-size one.

It was the kind of soul-satisfyingly good meal that you don't often find for $8. But don't take my word for it.

Yesterday I made the weekly pilgrimage to 821 for my black bean nachos, which is not particularly noteworthy except that I was alone in the restaurant.

Let me clarify: alone at 821.

When I arrived around 1145, there were 3 other tables.

By noon, it was me and the staff. I've been going there for over 10 years now and I've never been the only customer.

Heather waited on me and asked how I'd liked the Tulsa Drone show we'd both seen recently.

As for the shortage of patrons, we decided it had a lot to do with the first full week of school and it being the last day to add/drop classes.

She brought me up to speed on the renovations of the building next door that will eventually double their seating capacity when it finally opens, undoubtedly after December 1 so they can open as a smoke-free place.

It'll be the end of an era, for sure, though, when that little space closes for good.

By last night, you'd think I could have made do with a sandwich at home considering the platter o' nachos I'd inhaled earlier, but now that I have a restaurant 2 blocks away with a much better stocked and staffed kitchen, it's hard to get excited about eating here.

So I ambled up to the Belvidere at Broad and had just about decided on the Smoked Gouda Veggie Club with Bacon when the bartender asked if I wanted a recommendation and promptly suggested the Smoked Gouda Veggie Club with Bacon.

Well, that was easy.

The sandwich was wonderful: huge with 3 thick-cut slices of bread, roasted red peppers, sauteed onions, shitakes, tomatoes, cucumbers, greens, avocado puree, and loads of Gouda and bacon.

Naturally what followed was a discussion of his musical taste and as he ticked off favored bands and musicians, I passed judgement.

When he said "The Posies" I answered, "Frosting on the Beater" (my favorite Posies album), causing him to respond, "Will you marry me?"

I think the deal was sealed when the topic of phones came up later and he found out I don't have a cell; he hates them (but has one).

It's not every day I can go out for dinner and leave four hours later with a marriage proposal.

Now there's some incentive for eating out.

No comments:

Post a Comment