Thursday, August 6, 2009

Of Sarcasm, Guns, Distortion and Tomatoes

So the problem with writing a blog is that when you you don't write for a few days (okay, a week), certain people begin to give you crap about your absence (or even link to your hopelessly dated blog).

I'd like to say I've been too busy at my new job, except that I still don't have one.

On the bright side, I have plenty of time to get out.

I did a three-day weekend at the beach visiting my sister and her husband and four of their single male friends..

They don't seem to have any female friends and I'm okay with that.

I usually make this trek, but two of the guys were new to me this year (and I'm single for a change), so it ended up being a lot more fun than ever before.

Let's just say one of them was smart, funny, sarcastic, surprised me with a box of hand-picked chocolates and was willing to take a long walk on the beach at midnight.

As I told him, well done.

Went to the final performance of Hamlet at Agecroft and watched the spit fly from the front row again.

When Joe Carlson took that flying leap across the stage, the entire audience gasped in amazement...which almost distracted those of us of the female persuasion from those gorgeous arms of his.

Silversun Pickups at the National Tuesday night turned out to be quite a good show and particularly appropriate, coming so soon after My Bloody Valentine, from whom they clearly draw influence.

It was a good week in Richmond for us distortion lovers.

I had to go see "500 Days of Summer" at Movieland because I need reinforcement that love sucks and you never get what you want.

Wait, what?

No, I knew this movie's realistic depiction of love gone wrong would be well done and it was.

Just a bit too close to home perhaps.

Did I mention the excellent soundtrack? The Temper Trap is very high on my play list at the moment.

And, finally, Lee Gregory's tomato tart last night was one of the most tantalizing uses of local tomatoes of all kinds I've put in my mouth in a long time (and only the first of three delicious courses).

It's a colossal understatement to say that he will be missed come September.

As a bonus, I ran into the birthday boy, Jeff, out celebrating his 37th with the little woman.

It's always interesting to see where local chefs eat when they go out.

If I keep up with my blog better, will you guys quit dropping hints looking for juicy updates in my hum-drum life?

No comments:

Post a Comment