Monday, January 11, 2010

Your Concern for My Lungs is Touching

So I've been doing my daily walk religiously for years now, regardless of weather or circumstance.

That's not so much the case anymore and sometimes all it takes is the perfect storm of the two for me to just blow it off without a second thought.

Yesterday morning, for instance, followed a late Saturday night with lots of wine and the thermometer was reading 17 degrees.

Walking four miles? I don't think so.

Without a moment's regret, I used that time instead to have a lovely breakfast of oatmeal, bacon and toast slathered with butter and homemade blackberry jam while reading the Sunday Post.

But I was back out there today and as I walked by a small business on Grace Street, the two guys who work there were outside taking a smoke break.

Any time this happens, which is fairly often, I stop for some conversation, so we've kind of gotten to know each other.

When they saw me today and asked how I was, I gave the only logical answer, "Cold. It's 12 degrees out here."

Exhaling smoke, one of them said, "You know, when it's this cold outside, physical activity can be dangerous for your lungs."

You know, as opposed to smoking cigarettes outside in this weather.

Thanks for the tip, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment