Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tails Were the Turnoff

I have a friend who is a decidedly un-adventurous eater. Last winter, when I ordered the wild boar meatballs at Bacchus, she was repulsed and gave me a hard time about eating them. After enough wine, I might add, she begrudgingly tasted them and reluctantly admitted that they were awfully good.


Fast forward to tonight and she suggested Bacchus again, even throwing out a tease that she might get the wild boar. This was something I needed to see. We set up camp at the bar, which was completely empty, although nearly every table and booth was full. We ordered wine and started looking at the menu.


Alas, the wild boar was gone, replaced by all kinds of other delectables. My friend went right from the exotic to the mundane and ordered the white pizza and the white beans with pesto. I'm not so easily led; I decide to start with the spinach salad with green apple vinaigrette, goat cheese and toasted almonds.


But what had immediately caught my eye was the sugar toad scampi. It's not every day that you find Chesapeake puffer fish on the menu, but when I do, I want some. And unlike probably the most frequent preparation, lightly fried, this was something different.


My salad was perfection with the sweet dressing well serving the spinach and goat cheese. I think I enjoyed it all the more for knowing what a rich delight was to follow. Because, quite honestly, those sugar toads were the thing.


Five little bodies in a bowl full of butter and garlic and a big piece of frisee on the side, this didn't look quite like anything else that readily came to mind. It was then that my friend glanced down and gasped, "Are those tails?" Why, yes, they were and that was the end of the possibility of her tasting sugar toads. Their fatal flaw was their end piece.


Not long after, a couple of guys became the third and fourth bar sitters. The first guy introduced himself as Persian (I love how much more romantic that sounds than Iranian), but an American citizen since 1971. He was effusive about his passion for his adopted home in that way that oly non-natives tend to be. His friend and former co-worker was originally from Mexico. We now had two delightful accents to share conversation with.


My friend can be direct. "Do you smoke?" she asked one of the guys, apparently based on his breath. It turned out that they both did, not surprisingly given that one works for Philip-Morris and the other is a retiree after 30+ years of service. They were charming, well-traveled and obviously long-time friends.


We started with health care reform, went on to the attitudes of the German people and finished with tales of intrigue from South American tobacco farms. My perception of P-M employees was blown out of the water with some of their more colorful stories about tobacco acquisition. Corporate intrigue! Radio interviews! Sacrificing a cow!


But the sugar toads were the thing tonight...tails and all.

4 comments:

  1. Been looking for sugar toads ever since last year's Broad Appetite and couldn't find them anywhere! Thanks for the tip.

    Your blog is alot of fun to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always glad to be of service.

    So glad you like it. Not everyone who reads it enjoys it! (Go figure!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried sugar toads at Acacia a while back. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me about it. My friend's loss, for sure.

    ReplyDelete