Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Formerly Clueless About Coffee

There must have been something compelling about the subject of today's book talk at the Library of Virginia, because it was nearly a full house.

Author Bryant Simon's book Everything But the Coffee: Learning About America from Starbucks appealed to me because I don't drink coffee or go to Starbucks, so I was definitely curious about what can be gleaned about those who do. And Simon was a most engaging speaker, knowledgeable and witty.

Simon visited 450 Starbucks over a five-year period, coming to several cultural conclusions. He thinks that what we buy has meaning, that the spread of buying has been aided by a retreat away from public life to private spaces, and the fact that buying has simply become more important in American life.

And, by the way, he noted that Richmond is just about at Los Angeles' level for Starbucks saturation. I have to say, I'm prouder to be the third most tattooed city in the country than to know that we equal a place like L.A. for conspicuous consumption of Starbucks.

He stressed that people are willing to pay a higher price for coffee ($4 or more, I learned) and wait longer to get it for the sake of creating an image of themselves. And the elevated price of Starbucks coffee keeps a certain element out, further distinguishing a SB consumer from others. Certainly, he said, creating their own language helped create the insider/outsider separation.

I learned that Starbucks' coffee is the most caffeinated (twice that of McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts), resulting in Simon's comment, "It's pretty good to sell a product that's addictive. Cigarette companies taught us that long ago." So true.

These lectures always end with a book drawing and unexpectedly I was today's winner. Accepting my gift, I mentioned the irony of it since I neither drink coffee nor frequent Starbucks. When Simon signed my copy, he wrote, "Karen, To more good luck! Enjoy, BS." Amen to the more good luck part.

As long as I was at the Library of Virginia, it seemed an ideal time to check out the new Positive Vibe Express Cafe. They were crowded with post-lecture attendees in line to order, so I took the easy route and got the Daily Special, a chili dog. Taking it to a nearby table, I settled in with my new book, a cultural history, one of my favorite reads.

The hot dog's skin had a nice snap when I bit it and the overflowing chili was full of beans, just the way I like it. And at $3.28, it cost less than a Starbucks coffee.

I'm hoping it also said something interesting about me as a person.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I missed this one.

    Can you elaborate on what he meant by "the spread of buying has been aided by a retreat away from public life to private spaces"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to meet my Spanish tutor at a starbucks where he would order a coffee using a language I've yet to fathom. When it was my turn to order I'd ask for a small Earl Grey tea. You wouldn't believe the looks I got from the barista and the people who over heard me. It always made me smile.

    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  3. He said that the decline of extended families, the loss of front porch socializing and a neighborhood focus made people seek out that sort of interaction elsewhere, like in coffee shops.

    If you like, I could lend you the book once I finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leo,
    Simon also told a story of interviewing two returning Iraqi vets who were nervous about going into a Starbucks for the first time once they got back for fear of not knowing the language and feeling foolish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the offer! Since I still haven't cracked "When everything changed", it will probably be a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,

    I wished I could have gone to that lecture, having been in the coffee industry before and a lover of all things coffee. I would love to borrow the book when you are done if you feel like sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course! I'd be happy to share it with a coffee person.

    ReplyDelete