Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pork Belly and Post-Rock

Because it's been a month since we last got together. Because a longer period can't be covered in one evening's conversation. Because our recent attempts to rendezvous had to be rescheduled. Because it's Wednesday.

Does the reason even matter?

We met at Six Burner just as they opened, causing server T. to ask me, "This is early for you, isn't it?" Actually it worked out well because the sky was noticeably darkening when we got there and we were safely inside before the rains came. I'm really enjoying these rain bursts we've been having and this one was no exception. Plus I had a great viewing point because of all the windows.

I could tell the second my friend had walked in that there was a very high stress level going on. "Glass or a bottle?" I asked, anticipating the answer by her harried look. We'll take a bottle of the 2006 Vietti Barbera d'Asti "Tre Vigne," please. Quickly. And let the stories begin.

My friend was thinking ahead, though, and quickly ordered the crispy pork belly over polenta with a spicy pepper sauce and ratatouille, just in case we got going and forgot to order, which we might have. We had a lot to cover (in fact, her e-mail earlier today had specified, "Remember everything...from Nags Head to now...at least").

Not that I've seen one, but I think our subject matter tonight would have made a great women's talk show (I realize that sounds sexist, but you know what I mean). Hoarders, partners who give bad birthday, sexual expectations and sibling issues. How's that for a well-rounded show?

The wine was having the desired effect, especially once it opened up a bit and the pork belly smoothed off the rest of the rough edges. Crispy and fatty, it cried out for that polenta and spicy sauce, proving once again that even pig perfection can occasionally be enhanced.

We had every intention of ordering the braised rabbit with shitakes and gnocchi but got so wrapped up in life tales that before we knew it, we both had places to be. Alcohol and fat are fine, but sometimes non-stop conversation is the best stress reliever of all. I know I needed it and she sure seemed better.

My place to be was Gallery 5 again for music. I've heard music the last two nights, but I had a couple of compelling reasons to want to check out this show too. First, Long Division, a Norfolk post-rock quintet, was playing and the last time I'd seen them, I'd fallen hard for their instrumental sound. There was no way they were going to be playing so nearby and I wasn't going to be there.

I can't say what it is about post-rock that appeals to me so much because I don't have the musical vocabulary. Suffice it to say that I can appreciate a band that doesn't rely on lyrics, doesn't use a typical popular song structure and employs an ever-changing sound scape. Once again, they made my night.

The Blue Letter. a local band, I hadn't seen since they played the Silent Music Revival for the Halloween edition 2008 improvising effectively to The Tell-Tale Heart. That show had been at Rumors, a place far too small for their sound. I was curious to hear them in a bigger space where they could breathe and it did make a big difference. The crowd understandably was very into them.

Headlining was Junius, dressed all in black, a hard rock quartet with some post-rock leanings, although they do have a vocalist, which I consider very un-post-rock-like (Sigur Ros can get away with it, but only because he sings in a made-up language). Junius' sound was big and atmospheric and they rocked...hard.

Because there's nothing wrong with going out for music three nights in a row. Because it was only four blocks from home. Because post-rock makes it sound like everything is possible. Because it's Wednesday.

Does it really matter?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Karen.
    Thanks for coming out last night. And thanks for the kind words. Lots is different since that show at Rumors. Wow almost 2 yrs ago. Hopefully we'll see you out again?
    Dan (The Blue Letter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I enjoyed myself. It's all kinds of likely we'll see each other again.

    ReplyDelete