Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pop Culture Slave

I worked on Secco's testosterone levels, I watched a film on cross-dressing and I heard Beatles' songs sung in Japanese. And I did it all in just seven hours. Not bad for an evening's play.

My friend Andrew had suggested meeting for a drink and left the destination up to me. Since my plans afterwards were at the VMFA, Carytown seemed the logical place to rendezvous. I chose Secco because there always seem to be more women than men there and since for a change I'd be with a Y chromosome, here was my chance to help improve the view for all those winey women.

Andrew is a beer drinker who decided to drink wine tonight for fear, he said, that I'd give him crap about drinking beer in a wine bar. Not so, I assured him, but he broadened his horizons anyway. We shared a far more adventurous cheese plate than I knew he was capable of(quadrelle, montenebro, gorgonzola dolce) while catching up on each other's stories. We about balanced out this time: he'd been unexpectedly serenaded by zoot suits and drag queens; I'd been audaciously propositioned. We called it a draw.

We'd gotten so long-winded that we ended up tossing back our second glasses so I could make a movie screening at the museum. And not just any movie, but the highest grossing comedy of all time. One banned in Kansas because decent people didn't want to see cross-dressing.

1959's Some Like It Hot was yet another classic I'd never seen. Even better than the characters for me were the locations: the sleeping cars on the train, the Florida beach hotel, the millionaire's yacht.

I knew so little about the film that I was unprepared for how much of it was a gangster film. Nor did I know that it was Tony Curtis who ended up with Marilyn Monroe. But it was those two who provided my favorite exchange:

It's not how long you wait. It's who you're waiting for.
Him: I'm afraid it may take a little longer.
Her: It's not how long it takes. It's who's taking you.

Now there's some wisdom passing for banter. I second every innuendo in those lines.

After getting my friend fix and my cultural dose, I went to Balliceaux because they were having a DJ play 1960s Asian pop music, a genre I'd never given a moment's thought to. But what could be better on a Friday night?

The evening got off to a fine start when I walked up to the door. Two guys were sitting outside having a smoke and said hi. One said "That's a great dress on you." The top is bright red, so I said, "Oh, you mean the color?" and the other guy said, "No, the whole thing." If they were the welcoming committee, they were doing a superb job, I gotta tell you.

I started at the front bar with some Billy Bi soup (black mussels, saffron, cream), essentially shelled mussels in a decadent broth. I enhanced it by tossing in hunks of Billy bread for maximum broth soppage. It was just what I needed after wine and a movie.

My favorite Balliceaux bartender Austin came up behind me just as I was done eating to let me know that he was working the back bar ("the cool bar tonight," he assured me), so I closed my tab and carried my Tres Generations to a location closer to him (he wanted to discuss the new Arcade Fire with me) and the Asian pop.

It was so much fun; they were even showing clips from the 60s of Asian girls dancing and Asian boys playing in bands. And the music! Clearly the Beatles effect rippled through the East because I heard Japanese covers of "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da," "Run for Your Life" and a bunch of others. Just as much fun were the heavily accented covers of American songs (Bee Gees anyone?). It didn't take long for people to start dancing.

I saw loads of friends and people I knew tonight, a lot more than I expected. Like me, they were intrigued by the possibilities of an obscure genre.

I met a guy from Church Hill when he came to the bar for a drink refill and started chatting me up. We talked about late nights at Balliceaux, city living, restaurants and, of course, music. Despite differences in our music taste and ages, he suggested meeting up for dinner at Black Sheep for more music talk or maybe a show. This is always the part of the evening where it gets awkward.

When you tell people you're not dating, they want to know why not. When you're just out for some Asian pop, you don't want to share your personal business, nor do you want to be rude. I wish it were easier to accept an offer of friendship while making it clear that more than that is not a possibility. Why can't I figure out how to do this?

To quote the final line of Some Like It Hot, "Nobody's perfect." (insert shrug) Least of all me.

5 comments:

  1. Tell the nosy ones that the story of you not dating is a long, tragic one involving fire, a train crash and brutality. Maybe that will shut them up!
    I think you are pretty darn near perfect but I can't believe these classic movies you haven't seen before....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that's the answer! I'll say I'm busy catching up on film history in hopes of becoming a more interesting person in the future.

    And where would I have seen them? On TV? But I don't watch TV...and so I slipped through the classic movie cracks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you checked out Carlito's Asian Pop night. That is some of my favorite music ever. The next night of Asian Pop is Friday September 17th. Hope you can make it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was stellar! No way I'm missing the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for saying such nice things about Asian Pop Night Karen!
    We'll make sure the next one is twice as groovy!
    see you there next month! (like Chris said, September 17th!)
    take care,
    djc

    ReplyDelete