Monday, August 30, 2010

An Evening in Four Parts

Three screens. Two couple dates. Three live bands. Five dishes. Three rooms at capacity. One dessert. One hell of a good time.

Earlier in the week, a friend had offered me a ticket to a documentary screening today. I'd declined, saying I was already triple booked for Sunday.

"It's at 4:00," he'd countered. Well, alrighty then, I could make it; I'd just be starting my evening a bit earlier. Plus I'd get to see the new RTP theater in Scott's Addition, which I'd not yet been in. I said yes to my first couple date of the evening.

4:00 Richmond Triangle Players Theater
The sold-out documentary screening was Gen Silent about the issues facing GLBT seniors as they age. Apparently, many go back into the closet to avoid prejudice or even abuse in long-term care facilities and nursing homes.

The people interviewed for the film shared touching stories of lives turned upside down by care giving, nursing home visits, inattentive or absent families and fear of being found out.

At today's Virginia premiere of the movie, many tissues were undoubtedly soaked and I heard sniffles throughout. I can't imagine not being touched by these stories of long-time couples struggling in later life.

It was a powerful film and it was being shown to engage the community in dialogue about how to improve the situation in RVA, so a panel discussion followed the film. I left feeling like I had seen an important film.

5:30 Belvidere at Broad, First Anniversary Celebration
The restaurant was hopping when I got there and only got crazier in the next few hours as regulars streamed in, filling up every available space. I saw neighbors, friends and a few who provided hysterical entertainment value.

The menu for the evening had fourteen specials, all of them tempting. By the time I met my second couple date for the evening, they had already ordered the first round of food: Spicy tuna roll (ahi tuna, spicy sriracha aioli, cucumber, sesame seeds), local tomato Caprese, and roasted stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with spinach, tomato, herbed cream cheese, and parmigiana reggiano in a red pepper cream sauce). May I say yum?

Our next course was a little heartier: All natural beef sliders 3 ways (Gouda and bacon, fresh Mozzarella and caramelized onions and lettuce, tomato and caramelized onions) and grilled tenderloin canapes (crostinis topped with grilled tenderloin, caramelized red onion, chives and a house made horseradish sauce). By the time we finished these, I was full.

But never too full for dessert. We ended with the fresh fruit Napoleon: sliced pound cake, house made blackberry brandy whipped cream and assorted berries. Although not what I expected (Napoleons requiring puff pastry, after all), it was simply wonderful... and very pretty.

The place was mobbed, everyone was ordering food and absolutely everything that came out of the kitchen was stellar. There wasn't a single thing that could have been improved upon.

Even before I saw him, I knew Chris was in the kitchen, but the fact is, everyone back there did an amazing job tonight. I think they each deserved multiple shift drinks.

Roger Carrol was playing sax and Alan Parker guitar for most of the evening and it added a nice ambiance to the party. There were times that the crowd's volume only intensified when the music was really wailing, but parties are supposed to be loud. At least the good ones are.

8:00 Gallery 5, Silent Music Revival
In all the years I've been attending this event, never has there been a crowd the size there was tonight. Fortunately, my couple date had saved me a seat for The Adventures of Prince Achmed, an animated silent movie from 1926.

Musical improvisation was courtesy of Dave Watkins and he was up to the challenge of scoring a 67-minute film, the longest Jameson has ever shown at a SMR.

I can't begin to describe how beautiful the film was. It took its inspiration from Indonesian shadow puppet traditions, although it actually used cardboard cutouts and stop motion techniques. It was three years in the making and it wasn't hard to see why, especially for 1926.

The story is from 1001 Arabian Nights and the intricately cut figures with their tapering fingers and elongated legs were a thing of beauty and Dave's accompaniment created a Middle Eastern mood that had the audience under its spell. Everything about the performance tonight felt magical.

10:00 The Camel, Marionette
The perfect way to close out my busy Sunday was by seeing some of my favorite people playing in one of the best bands in Richmond. Alas, no couple date, but I know the people in this band as friends by now, so it was almost like a group date (my next frontier, perhaps?).

There was a surprisingly good crowd in-house for a Sunday night (is it because VCU's back?) and despite a few sound glitches, the energy in the room was terrific. A masseuse I know came over and asked me why more people don't know about this local gem, but that's a question I have no answer for.

After the show, I lingered to talk to the band, ending with Adam the guitarist, who teased me about not arriving early enough to have a long conversation before they went on. Instead I stayed for a long conversation afterwards.

It's all about time management. If I can't fit something in at the start of my evening, there's always room at the end.

Who would have guessed how easily I've settled into this 1 a.m. or later bedtime? Don't all answer at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment