Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Just Don't Call Me Erin

My reservation for one was awaiting me when I arrived for Acacia's Wines of the Northwest dinner tonight. The bar, like the restaurant, was crowded, but my single place setting sat waiting for me amongst the crowd, welcoming this single diner.

I greeted Arthur the bartender, who revealed his inner smart ass by saying, "Hey, long time no see." In fact, we'd been at the same party Sunday night so we weren't even 72 hours since our last conversation. He was a blur making cocktails and apologized for the lack of wine dinner menus, saying they were scarce at the moment. I told him to take his time because I was in no hurry.

By the time he brought me the menu, I was already admiring the first course of the couple next to me. And really, all I had to decide from the menu was fish or veal and I told him that I already knew where that was going. He laughed and agreed.

The starter course was Caramont goat cheese panna cotta with olive oil poached skate wing and a fine diced veggie and herb salad. The wine pairing was Terra Blanca 2008 Sauvignon Blanc, tasting somewhere between a New Zealand and a Loire Valley style SB. Good acidity and minerality and practically perfect with the dish.

I've had Caramont goat cheese before (thanks to River City Cellars/Secco), so I knew how good it was, but this panna cotta version was like silk in my mouth. Then too, I've always had skate pan-fried, so this oil-poached version was a welcome change-up. It was every bit as smooth in my mouth as the panna cotta; we were definitely off to a decadent start.

It was about this time that I made the acquaintance of the couple sitting next to me. We got off to an inauspicious start when I received my second course before they did. Their reservation was a half hour earlier than mine and they were already into their first course when I'd arrived, so clearly something was amiss. I felt terribly guilty when my Lamb Two Ways showed up and they were still looking at empty placemats.

I offered up my plate, but the server assured us that their food was moments away, so they declined my offer. It was then that we introduced ourselves to each other. I did have the decency to wait for their food to show up before digging in, no easy feat considering what was on my plate.

Lamb tartare with grilled eggplant slices shared the plate with fried sweetbreads with eggplant puree. As much as I love a goof tartare, and I do, I tore into those sweetbreads like I hadn't just eaten a plate of skate.

Paired with the 2007 Claar Cellars Cabernet/Merlot, I had a few eye-closing moments over these two. The Cab/Merlot had delicate tannins and perfect balance (not a big in-your-face Cab). Two grapes, two kinds of lamb, too heavenly.

It was the third course that gave us the choice: smoked paprika-dusted tautog with Chardonnay or roasted veal with Pinot Noir. Come on, I like fish as much as the next person, but this was a foregone conclusion.

With it came sauteed gnocchi, house made duck sausage, fig and pine nut puree, Swiss chard and a red wine sauce. All this was complemented by a 2007 Seven of Hearts Pinot Noir, because how could there be a Northwest Wine dinner that didn't include a Pinot Noir? Impossible.

I knew one of the wine reps, having recently heard that she'd moved from a bartending position to selling small production Northwest wines, so I introduced her to my new couple friends. They too are restaurant goers, so we all got into a discussion of favorite Charlottesville restaurants and the ease of making that drive for the sake of a good meal.

They in turn introduced me to the couple next to them, Acacia regulars from Ashland. They misheard my name as Erin, which I quickly corrected (definitely not a name I want to be called) and then made the connection that I had a blog. It was a bit surprising being identified by a stranger, but also flattering to meet a reader so randomly.

Generally speaking, barsitters tend to be restaurant regulars, so there's often talk of who likes to eat where and why. And certainly one of the benefits of solo dining is making the acquaintance of interesting couples.

I never know when I might meet a twosome looking for a third wheel...conversationally speaking, of course.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erin OOPS! Just teasing hi Karen… What a delight to meet you and spend a lovely evening at Acacia’s with another bar slug of wine and food conversation all meant as a compliments.

    The food, wine and conversations delightful and the service mix up with the second course MONDO that moving on its a great place. Hope our paths meet again Richmond, Charlottesville or Mars as long as its good food, good wine and good company.

    Anonymously Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. As often as the three of us are out and about, it's bound to happen again.

    Thanks for providing me the company and for turning me on to a musician I clearly must go hear. Maybe I'll even see you there.

    And if I didn't properly convey how sincerely impressed I was with your long-term relationship status, please know that I am. Well done!

    ReplyDelete