Saturday, July 31, 2010

Who's That Man in My Room?

Staying in a house with eight guys has to be a little like living in a frat house, even with my sister here to help represent. The huge TV is always tuned to some sporting event (thankfully usually with the sound turned down), the drinking is pretty much non-stop and there's always someone willing to do the heavy lifting (umbrellas, beach chairs, multiple coolers).

After we got back from the Lucky 12, I finished my blogging with all good intent to hit the sack. But no, the others started rolling back and there were going to be festivities on the deck; my presence was requested. Cigars and shots of Jameson were involved (okay, neither of those for me). But by about 1:30, I was toast.

I think my eyes closed when my head hit the pillow and I got 45 minutes sleep before I heard something in the room, which was what must have woken me up. I was too tired to look; the room had two twin beds and no one was bothering me in mine. Granted, I wasn't dressed, but it was dark.

Just as I was falling back to sleep the snoring started. Man snoring, loud and long. I had no idea who had appropriated the other bed in my room, but his snoring was obnoxious. I don't mind sleeping with a snoring guy if he's my guy, but I wasn't even sure which of the seven this was (I had, however, ruled out my sister's husband).

I wanted him to roll over and hopefully stop making noise but how to make it happen? I couldn't roll him over since I didn't know who it was and we weren't occupying the same bed. I settled for slamming the bedroom door after going to the loo. It stopped the snoring briefly before it resumed.

Bone tired and desperately needing sleep, I waited for another lull in hopes of being able to fall back asleep. The last time I remember seeing the clock was 3:20. That's two nights in a row now for 3:20.

When I woke up this morning, the bed was empty. Upstairs at breakfast was also very frat house-like with a room full of hungover guys mainlining coffee, bacon and sweet rolls. It didn't take long to establish who my snoring roommate had been. He's the most hungover of all today.

I'm the most tired, so I will get that beach nap today or die trying. And chances are I won't even care if one of the boys decides to snore on the beach next to me.

But only because I'll have the ocean to drown him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment