Monday, July 12, 2010

Show Me the Music

Driving back from the beach today, I had the distinct pleasure of knowing that once home (or, at least, once the beach laundry was done, the luggage unpacked, the plants watered and the apartment tidied), it would only be a matter of hours before it was time for dinner and live music. Alright, there may have been a wee nap in there too, but after two weeks of at-will napping, that may be a tough habit to break right away.

I was headed to Ipanema to meet a friend for dinner and catch up on two weeks worth of goings-on, both hers and mine. As she's fond of saying, "How does so much happen in between seeing each other?" Hell if I know but fortunately we had hours to share it all.

There were new things on Ipanema's menu and I was all about trying them. After the house salad with carrot/ginger vinaigrette, I had to try the Thai corn cakes with mango/pineapple chutney. As a showcase for summer's current star, sweet corn, the cakes were knockouts, full of kernels and fresh flavor; the chutney was sweet perfection on each bite. We shared these tonight, but next time they're all mine.

For dinner I had to try their take on mussels, steamed in a white wine and tomato broth with the creamiest garlic risotto and, wait for it, focaccia croutons. The risotto was an unexpected addition to a mussel dish and, in a way, did the work of the usual bread sopping. The croutons were there for the required bread taste (and, oh, what a wonderful taste!). All in all, a unique take on a classic dish.

Ipanema has a new baker which means I have a whole new variety of desserts to taste and tonight's was banana cake with chocolate icing. The large piece of cake had a moist, dense crumb with a rich banana taste enhanced by all that chocolate frosting. So far, I'd have to give the new baker a gold star.

The signs posted on the door had warned the incoming crowd that the show was being recorded and to refrain from talking and, by god they did. Homemade Knives had chosen to do an all-Springsteen set by some sort of divine intervention and it was truly a thing of beauty.

It was probably three songs in, when they launched into "Dancing in the dark" with an arrangement so unlike the original as to be a completely different song, that the audience realized what an amazing set they were hearing. I said as much to my friend, who commented, "I know, right? I didn't once think of Courtney Cox." She gave me bonus points for getting the reference, but come on.

"I'm on fire" was just as striking for a version even more haunting than the original. Preparing to do their one original song for a closer, Will said, "Thank you guys for being so quiet. I know we're in a bar, but it doesn't feel like it."

I'd have to agree that it was probably the most respectful audience ever at a Live at Ipanema show, but I also know that a good portion of the audience was there specifically to hear Homemade Knives and for many, it was their first time hearing them since the band's recent reunion. I'd been fortunate enough to hear them at the Listening Room not long ago, so I knew to expect wonderful things and they delivered.

You can come back from vacation and wish you were still gone or you can come back and dive right back into everything you love about home. It's good to be back.

2 comments:

  1. i can't express how happy i am that wil is writing and playing songs again. it makes me proud of my friend and proud to live in a city that such a talented singer-songwriter calls home.
    karen, many thanks for the kind words.
    you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, shucks, I'm not even good, Jonathan, just proud to live in such a music-filled town.

    ReplyDelete