Friday, July 23, 2010

At Long Last: Catch-Up Date at Aziza

Sometimes the best date in the world is a couple. In tonight's case, it was a couple of omnivores like me whom I'd randomly met by sticking my nose into their dinner, here. Despite numerous e-mails and one quick drink in the interim, this was our first real date. We'd been planning to meet up for an extended meal since we'd met, but vacation and a broken hand had intervened.

I suggested Aziza because I had yet to try the pizza and I had every expectation that it was going to be a treat. Come on, we're talking about the largest pizza oven in RVA (it goes back 7 feet!), one designed to cook bread as well as pies. And then there's the source of the crust; if anyone knows dough, it's Billy, right?

When I arrived my dates were already present and in place at the front table in the window. Oh, good, now I could display my back to passersby. We began with, what else, a bottle of Vino Verde and for the manly one of the group, a Lebanese beer. Thirsts quenched, we asked our server for recommendations for small plates.

Taking our cue from someone who knew, we got the yellow tomato gazpacho (the jalapeno elevated the soup to something out of the ordinary), the tuna carpaccio, roasted beet and orange salad with coriander vinaigrette (leading to a discussion of proper borscht-making from someone who knew) and the prosciutto, fennel and grapefruit salad (the acid cut the salty meat nicely).

When it came time to order our pizzas, I got called on first and ordered the white (garlic, Fontina, oregano and chili) with hot sausage from Belmont Butchery. You should have seen the look on the manly one's face. "That's what I was going to order!"

Seems I'd stolen his choice and, as a dining pro, he knew he couldn't order the same thing. I felt a teeny bit bad but offered to share as much as he wanted. Mostly I was pleased not to hear the "meat on white pizza?" refrain again.

Womanly one got the mushroom and onion pizza (shitake, crimini, caramelized onions) and he who had had his pizza choice stolen from under him got the proscuitto and arugula (cow Mozzarella, proscuitto di Parma, Manakintowne arugula) with...wait for it...Belmont Butchery's hot sausage. I guess he showed me.

All three pizzas were excellent and, best of all, each had a completely different flavor profile. We discussed how they didn't feel interchangeable and the difference was more than just different toppings. There was a completeness to each that defined the pizzas' flavor combinations. The menu says that "Aziza's is the first pizzeria in Virginia to achieve RGP (really good pizza) recognition." I couldn't help but laugh, having a good idea of whom they're teasing with that statement.

The male half of my date is an extremely organized type who had brought a list of the topics to be covered during our meal. It had taken so long for it to finally happen that he'd not wanted to miss any of the myriad topics we needed to discuss. Laugh if you will, but it was a great way to cover a lot of ground in getting to know each other better. And in between prescribed topics, the tangents were many. Four plus hours passed in the blink of an eye.

Because no one should go to Aziza's without ending with their noteworthy cream puff, we did. I'm inclined to say that three people is the perfect number for sharing that over-sized pastry. I've eaten one all by myself, but I should have done penance for it and you know I didn't.

Afterwards, we went back to admire the oven up close and to talk to the prince of the pizza, letting him know how much we'd enjoyed our trio. Then we checked boxes to make sure we were all taking home our own pizza for leftovers, said good night and parted ways.

I've already gotten an e-mail from the manly one telling me he got my pizza by mistake. He wanted me to know in advance so I wouldn't be disappointed when I opened the box tomorrow.

No disappointment here. I'll look forward to whatever my surprise leftover pizza turns out to be almost as much as my next couple date.

And with couple dating, there's none of that awkwardness at the end of the evening-- should I or shouldn't I? I say this like I go on dates and actually know, but I've heard. Anyway, a group hug and I'm gone.

Gosh, I wonder if they'll want a second date?

4 comments:

  1. We had a wonderful time last night. We're introverts so an enjoyable, balanced 4 hour conversation on diverse topics spanning the gamut was really great. We will definitely schedule a second date soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you liked me, you really liked me?

    It was such an enjoyable evening for me, too. It probably does take two introverts to balance an extrovert like me, so we're a match made in heaven.

    Ahh, the food to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mean to intrude on the continuation of your date. Just wanted to say how envious I was of your dinner. Sounds like a home run. I love the pizza at Aziza's, but I've only been once. By reading everyone's reactions, it's clear it wasn't a fluke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intrude away; we've already finished our post-date cigarettes.

    It was a very good meal and the pizza was soemthing special for sure. It was especially gratifying to see the place packed, unlike on my previous visits.

    ReplyDelete