Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bastille Day at Bouchon

I really had no intention of celebrating Bastille Day but how could I resist a party invitation from a Frenchman? Francis and Wendy at Bouchon were throwing a soiree as a thank you for those they referred to as loyal supporters, as well as to celebrate French independence. All of a sudden I was on the Bastille Day bandwagon.

When I arrived, it was business as usual up front in the restaurant but the bar area in the back was jam-packed with other loyals in full party swing. The charming Olivier was pouring as fast as two French hands can pour and both Francis and Wendy were passing trays of delectables (tiny pea-stuffed tomatoes, pork rillete crostini, tuna-stuffed mushrooms, fish mousse on bread crisps) to the noisy crowd.

I found my spot at the end of the bar, tucked against the wall, the perfect vantage point for both crowd observation and servicing by Olivier. At one point, he brought over a tray of goodies, saying that Francis had told him to bring them to me. "He's trying to fatten me up," I told Olivier, taking two. "We like our women with curves," Olivier said, leaning on the bar and speaking for Frenchmen everywhere.

I had plenty of visitors to my corner, many of them lawyers due to Bouchon's popularity as the legal lunchtime hot spot. I met a French Canadian, a New Yorker and a Puerto Rican, all of them enthusiastic transplants with nothing but good things to say about their adopted city. And when asked for recommendations both cultural and dining, I volunteered my humble opinion. Transplants love to get the skinny from another transplant, or so it would seem.

Following so much French fun, I met a friend and we walked over to Balliceaux to hear Ombak play. I'd only heard them once before and that was at Lance Koehler's Minimum Wage Studio in Oregon Hill when they were recording their CD, so the experience had been a bit disjointed. I was looking forward to hearing them in total.

Tonight I was able to sit back and enjoy their intriguing sound, which takes its cues from just about everything: jazz, folk music, math rock and much of the musical landscape in between. The combination of acoustic bass, guitar, drums and trombone soars because of the sheer musical talent of the band: Cameron Ralston. Trey Pollard, Brian Jones and Brian Hooten, all major players on the local jazz scene.

If I'd thought of it, I could have recommended to the lawyer set that they stop by Balliceaux for music after the party, like I did. As it was, one couple had invited me to go to dinner with them after the party, but I'd declined because of my musical plans (although they took my card, and I feel certain I'll hear from them again).

Even on Bastille Day, music trumps all else. Well, that and Francis had fed me enough food for three curvy Frenchwomen. Who needed dinner?

11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your kind words! So glad you could make it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for making it out, why would I stay at home when you guys were making amazing music so nearby?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you afford to eat out every day but never work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous:

    Why is it that rude commenters never have the nerve to leave their name?

    The Bastille Day event was a party by invitation, so it was free to its guests, like parties usually are. Do your friends make you pay to go to their parties?

    And I don't eat out every day, although I do whenever I can. That's MY choice of how I spend my discretionary income and really no concern of yours. I choose to live without a cell phone, air conditioning and cable; if you did the same, perhaps you'd see how much extra money you'd have to go out with.

    Where on earth did you get the idea that I don't work? How would I live if I didn't have an income? Yes, I got laid off a year and a half ago, but obviously I work or I wouldn't have an apartment or money to live on.

    I don't choose to blog about working because I don't think anyone is interested in reading about it, although I did share several colorful stories when I was doing Census Bureau work.

    The only person who would have the right to ask me about my finances would be my boyfriend and I don't have one. How do you have the nerve to question a stranger's personal business and not even leave your name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice zinger to that question. Man, people are just nosy fuckers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good comeback Karen. You lead a rich, wonderful life and Anonymous is just plain JEALOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, do you ever take a long hard look at what Miss Karen eats? Is it ever an entree? Is it ever terribly, terribly expensive? Also, have you considered that, as opposed to you, she is extremely charming and personable and sometimes her lucky friends buy a meal, just in order to share her company...
    But then you might not have had the pleasure of her friendship...
    sorry for your luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what you say is true, I know I'd take her out every night of the week if she'd let me, but she won't. and watch out if if she ever starts dating again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hubby and I had a delectable dinner at Bouchon last night. On the way to the loo, I noticed there was a lady at the bar drinking wine and eating appetizers--I boldly went up to her and asked if by chance her name was Karen and she said no.

    Just thought it would be nice to say hello to you since I enjoy your blog so much. So hello anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe at another time and place. I love it that you asked her though.

    And hello!

    ReplyDelete