Thursday, July 15, 2010

Getting Fresh at Sprout Market & Cafe

I may have just eaten the most locally-sourced meal of my life and it was doubly delicious for knowing that almost all of its ingredients came from Virginia. Yes, I had returned to Sprout Market & Cafe after being tempted by their menu while attending a music show there the other night. I brought along a hungry friend, a food lover who wanted to hear all about what I'd read on vacation, and I was set.

I was hugely flattered when the owners recognized me and welcomed me back. How do they remember one person out of the many who visit their restaurant? Do you have to have a good memory for faces to even be in the restaurant biz? I will say it made for a lovely way to be greeted on arrival.

Friend and I perused the chalkboard menu (I teased them about their Ipanema-style menu) before doing a walkabout to check out the renovation. Jamie told us that the building was originally a police precinct station (the holding cell is in the kitchen) and we admired the magnificent doors, windows and woodwork in the place.

The front dining room had several tables occupied, so we opted for the "VIP lounge" as Jamie referred to the back room. The tables, booths and the wall between the room and the kitchen were fashioned from pallets, making for a space both green and economical (or "free," as Jamie pointed out). Full of light, the room had a great vibe and we enjoyed being its sole occupants.

Neither of us had been able to resist the sauteed beef with salsa fresca sandwich made with cow from Avery's Branch Farms in nearby Amelia County. We differed only in our choice of sides; he went with the local melon salad (local 'lope and sugar baby watermelon), but I was completely taken with the corn, okra and tomato salad and had to have it.

Our sandwiches were made incredibly flavorful with Sprout's own salsa fresca (available in the case for sale) and the perfectly-cooked tender local beef on a crisped and herbed ciabatta roll. I'm sorry an Amelia cow had to die for my sandwich, but it certainly was worth it from where I sat.

And the local white corn, okra ad tomato salad tasted like the ingredients were picked this morning. I insisted my friend taste it so that we could talk about how amazing it was. When Jamie asked how I liked it, I raved and he began telling me which farm produced each vegetable, naming towns I've never heard of, but clearly owe a debt of gratitude to.

After qualifying for the clean plate club, we were asked if we wanted any chocolate c- and before the poor guy could get the word cake out, we nodded enthusiastically. If the local sandwich and sides were this good, we needed to know about dessert. Besides, this is a friend with whom I always share dessert and he knows it.

When the chocolate cake arrived, adorned with local peach slices, it looked like your typical chocolate cake, a thick slice with generous amounts of chocolate icing. But this was Virginia cake, made with local butter, milk, eggs and, yes, even local flour. And it was very good chocolate cake, dense, dark and, best of all, local. The peach slices were perfectly ripe and even given my peach allergy, I couldn't resist eating half of them. So my mouth will itch for the rest of the afternoon; it was well worth it.

In a matter of a mere two days, Sprout has impressed me with a free music show and a stellar lunch. Pus, they're making it very easy to eat locally and that's no small thing either.

And I can tell you from experience, it only take two visits for them to recognize you. Friendly. local, fresh, what's not to like?

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your post. I love the addition of Sprout to Richmond, and had the same experience of the owners recognizing me as a repeat guest. Even called me by name the last time I walked in, which made me think of Cheers. I've had their sandwiches, brunch, and homemade cookies - all delicious. You said it best: Friendly, local, fresh, what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it, the sausage corncakes on the brunch menu had already caught my eye.

    Thanks for seconding my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 N. Morris Street, across from Crossroads Coffee.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete