Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Irish Girl Needs Jewish Guy to Eat Polish Rolls

A month ago I didn't even know what a bialy was and today, thanks to my friend Gregg, I had one of these delicious crusty-bottomed rolls with the trademark onion flakes for the first time, thoroughly enjoying its bready and oniony goodness.

Gregg has been teasing me with tales of the elusive bialy for a good while, all the time making sure that I understood that they are not available in these parts. But to my great good fortune, he just got back from a trip to Long Island and didn't forget his bialy virgin buddy (namely me). When we met up this morning, I was presented with two of these gems.

Being the amazing cook that he is, Gregg was very specific about the proper procedure for proceeding with my induction into the bialy world. I was to put it in the oven to warm and soften it, but not allow it to reach the crusty stage. Unlike a bagel, a bialy isn't boiled before baking, so Gregg promised all the bagel goodness without the trademark chewiness. Not that I have anything against a good chewy bagel, but I was ready to go Polish. With a schmear, of course.

I may be late to the bialy bandwagon, but thank goodness I have a friend looking to bring me up to speed, ethnically speaking. Our friendship began because we both eat just about anything and wanted the pleasure of eating out together. I don't think he knew he'd be schooling me along the way.

Whatever the reason, this bialy virgin has been deflowered. Lucky for me, I have a supplier.

6 comments:

  1. Elwood's used to carry bialys before they decided to rule the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if they would have been up to the standards of a Long Island boy, but I'll let him know anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always stock up on bialys (at least 3 dozen) at the Bialystocker (lower East Side of NY) before heading back to RIC. Then when we run out we order them two day air from H & H Bagels. When you ask for a bialy in Richmond, no one knows what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that I'm finally among the initiated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you need to get Greg to turn you on to babka bread, potato knishes, matzoh ball soup and chopped liver and then you'll be a true member of the tribe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greg has already made chopped liver for me!

    Matzoh ball soup and potato knishes I learned from my brother-in-law Joel.

    When I see Greg this weekend, I'll get him started on babka bread schooling.

    Give me time. I'll get there!

    ReplyDelete