Monday, July 5, 2010

A Man and His Wire

Ocean temperature: 63 degrees
Beach read: The Sun and the Moon: The Remarkable True Account of Hoaxers, Showmen, Dueling Journalists, and Lunar Man-Bats in 19th Century New York
Best song heard randomly on the radio: Fisherman's Blues, Waterboys

Best laugh-out-loud moment today, not courtesy of Thing 4, 5 or 6, but of a stranger: As I'm walking down the beach mid-afternoon, I am jolted out of my reverie by a perfect conch shell adorning the sand. Unusual as it is to see such a thing down here, the fact is I don't want the shell, but I can't resist nudging it with my toe. The moment I do, it is yanked back by a length of nearly invisible fishing wire by a guy sitting in his beach chair, grinning madly at me.

"You made my day!" I tell him, still laughing. "And you made mine," he says.

You gotta admire beach humor. Or maybe you don't, but I do.

4 comments:

  1. now that's funny...
    wonderful wacko.

    it's brutally hot and has been such a weird week home from our two day confab on the beach.

    work work Work blah blah blah

    I hope the next few days of your vacation are glorious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did confab well, didn't we?

    As you well know, glorious is what I aim for...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of a story my father used to tell. When are you coming home?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably this weekend, unless I get a better offer...

    ReplyDelete