Thursday, February 26, 2009

Heaven on a Plate

I'm not a big fan of dried fruit, but I sure do love some bacon-wrapped dates like the ones I had last night at Bin 22.

Just about every tapas and small plate restaurant has some version of dates on its menu these days.

Some are fried, some are stuffed with cheese, but, as well know, bacon makes everything better, and that includes dates.

Moments after I ordered them, the restaurant began to smell divine as the bacon was being fried up.

The owner even tried to entice a girl on the patio to come in, saying, "Mmmm, bacon. Don't you want to come inside?"

I just sipped my Cabernet and waited patiently.

And I was not disappointed.

When the plate arrived, there were at least half a dozen dates, each wrapped in a full rasher of bacon (which meant repeated wrappings), and arranged atop and beside a lovely salad of mixed greens with balsamic vinaigrette.

So I got sweet, salty and bitter and thoroughly enjoyed every bite.

Okay, so maybe I do like dried fruit more than I give myself credit for.

Mmm, bacon is always worth coming inside for.

No comments:

Post a Comment