Saturday, October 16, 2010

View from the 8th

When you walk the same general route for four years, you end up with regulars. People in the area start by waving or saying hi and some of them move on to actively engaging you in conversation because they see you so often. After a while we know a fair amount about each other for being merely street acquaintances.

Garrison was one of those. Early on, he'd always ask about my garden because the only place he'd see me besides walking was in the front yard. When I moved, it turned out that we were neighbors even closer and day after day his face was one of the first I'd see when I set out to walk.

After a while of just talking, he started teasing that he was going to start walking with me. Sometimes he'd even catch up with me and say, "Here we go," take a few steps and turn around. "You're too fast for me," he'd say, laughing and going home.

At the beginning of the summer, I ran into him and he said he'd moved to a high-rise on Grace Street. He invited me to stop by and see his new apartment which was right on my daily route, but the timing was never right.

When I left the house today, I could tell something was happening. Belvidere was backed up past 95 and cops were blocking and directing traffic. Parts of Broad were shut down and vendors were out. Turns out today was the VUU Homecoming parade from 10th and Broad to the Lombardy campus.

It actually made things easier for me because of the re-routed traffic. When I got over to Grace, though, it was unusually busy for a weekend morning due to the detouring of cars. And as I walked by, Garrison spotted me and yelled from across the street, "When are you coming up?"

Now seemed as good a time as any. I went in and had a computer take my photograph and personal information; I suppose it was so that the police would have a starting point if he hacked me up while I was upstairs. Kidding.

Taking the elevator to the 8th floor, we exited to a picture-perfect view of the parade on Broad Street. From that high up, and since we were only a block south, we had an excellent view of the marching bands, decorated vehicles and assorted other groups high-stepping it down Broad.

Even better, from his south-facing apartment, I was treated to a lovely panorama of Richmond rooftops stretching almost to the river. First was Franklin Street with all its late 19th century variations in rooving styles, domes and steeples and beyond that the smaller rooftops of the surrounding area.

I stood there picking out familiar places from Monroe Ward to the Fan and admiring the bird's-eye view perspective, so rarely seen in RVA. Garrison is already so accustomed to the view as to be blase about it.

I babbled on about how lovely it must be with snow or even rain falling and he agreed, but with none of the enthusiasm I was feeling. I teased him about not deserving a view he doesn't fully appreciate.

"Call me any time you want to come back and see it again," he said.

I told him I'll wait to enjoy it until he shows some appreciation for what he's got...or the first snowfall, whichever comes first.

5 comments:

  1. "rooving styles"--i'll bet you spent a few seconds looking at those words :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was taught in elementary school that the plural of roof is rooves, but since then roofs has become accepted as common usage.

    I refuse. Talk about a weird-looking word (to me, at least).

    Roofs? It hardly flows off the tongue, now does it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. and i never understood why the plural of moose isn't meese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I thought meese should be the plural for mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha
    and the plural of house should be hice.

    ReplyDelete