Monday, October 11, 2010

Columbus Day Field Trip

In fourteen hundred and ninety two
Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

With no idea what the appropriate way to celebrate Columbus Day might be, I jumped at a friend's offer to go tripping through Charlottesville wine country today.

His original plan included two wineries and Albemarle Cider Works, but they ended up being closed today, so we subbed another vineyard for the apple juice (and I'm not a cider fan, anyway) and carried on.

Starting at Jefferson Vineyards with the grounds still beautifully in bloom, we listened to a perfunctory description of their wines from our tasting guy. I hope he was enjoying himself more than he appeared to be, because otherwise he must hate getting up every day.

The 2009 Rose was my favorite, as was the usual pink advice on the tasting notes: drink soon and often. Done, still doing.

Lunch was at Hamilton's on the downtown mall at an outdoor table to enjoy the perfect October day. Still full from last night's pork belly feast, I toned it down with a salad with Polyface Farm chicken on romaine with apple wood-smoked bacon, fried shallots, local grape tomatoes and a blue cheese vinaigrette.

No ingredient could have tasted any fresher and the Polyface poultry, as always,was light years beyond average yard bird. My friend had the curried Polyface chicken on flat bread and seemed just as satisfied.

Since October is Virginia Wine month Hamilton's had a long list of quaffable specials, so my friend indulged in a glass of the Albemarle Cider, thereby making up for our lost visit. I took a sip, but I just don't think it's for me. Maybe I'm not enough of a farm girl type or something.

Burnley was next, but I'd been there, so nothing new to report; we ended with Cooper Vineyards in Louisa. It turned out to be my favorite tasting of the day and included Virginia's native grape Norton, the grape with no middling ground; you either love it or hate it and their Reserve had a lot to recommend it to lovers.

He had three ships and sailed from Spain
He sailed through sunshine, wind and rain.

Cooper was satisfying also because winemaking was in full view and progress; I passed the winemaker stirring vats of bright red grapes on my way through the arbor (okay, on my way to the restroom, but whatever), flies buzzing around. My only regret was not meeting the winery beagle who was apparently off napping. Next time, I hope.

October 12, their dream came true
You never saw a happier crew!

We were pretty happy ourselves, tastings done, future wine festivals discussed, bottles of wine in the trunk and a fine full day in the sunshine.

Just not sure we discovered anything we didn't already know, but some days I guess it's just about savoring the exploration.

2 comments:

  1. i'd never even Heard of a norton wine--that's what it's called? you'd think they'd make us memorize that sort of thing in school here, like the state bird and flower etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should! It's our only native grape and it's named after Richmond's own Dr. Norton who cultivated it. There's even a Norton Street in Carver named after him.

    ReplyDelete