Friday, October 1, 2010

Extending My Southern Hospitality

In the interest of being a good representative of my adopted city, I played tour guide tonight to an out-of-town visitor.

At issue was how much I could show a non-local on a dark, rainy night, hardly prime sightseeing time. Luckily I didn't have to work at it too hard because he'd already gotten a few recommendations from a local bartender about must-sees. I just had to fill in the cracks.

With that in mind, I figured the least I could do was start with our most scenic boulevard, Monument Avenue and try to wow him that way. He was impressed, more with the houses than the lesson in Civil War history, but that may have been owing to my less-than-detailed history lesson.

The first place he'd been told to experience was Mekong, no doubt due to his home-brewing habits. Or maybe just his love of good beer. An was behind the bar, so they discussed what he likes and An made his recommendations. Fortunately for a non-beer drinker like me, they had one decent tequila.

A beer and wine geek friend was also in attendance, which worked out well because I was able to provide the visitor with a kindred soul with whom to discuss such things. The funny part was when my friend suggested Capital Ale House at Innsbrook to the visitor as the place to go for the largest beer offerings.

Obviously the visitor didn't know me well enough to realize that I was already at the outer limits of the city as far as I'm concerned, making my friend laugh at even the thought that I might venture further west. Not happening.

But I'd already promised that I'd take him to Commercial Taphouse, which delivered on several levels. First and most importantly, they had cask ale, a fact which apparently couldn't delight a home brewer (or true beer geek) more.

He happily ordered some and I told him of my recent curiosity about experiencing it, here, and what guy can resist giving a girl a first experience? So I had my first cask ale and I'd have to say it was way more interesting than any beers I've tasted in the past. I should have known I could trust an art-lover for beer advice,

We were several hours in to our evening at this point and both hungry, so we decided to eat and here's the funny part. The visitor looked at the menu, looked at me and asked, "Do you eat ribs?" It was to laugh. Of course I eat ribs, but according to him, "Most girls don't." How's that for a blanket generalization?

So we got a half rack and the Ploughman's platter (which inexplicably now comes with leaves of romaine lettuce in addition to toast, which the visitor used to make ploughman wraps, giving him points for creativity, at least in my book). "Eat this," he directed so I did.

Earlier in the car we had furthered our music talk and one band he had specifically mentioned was the English post-punk band Killing Joke, with whom I was not familiar. In a truly odd coincidence, while in Commercial, they played a Killing Joke song off their 1980 debut album.

He was thrilled and I got a frame of reference for his description. Now what were the chances of such a thing happening?

Our final stop was my choice and what I had planned to do before getting a call from the help-a-visitor foundation. Julep was hosting a benefit for Tricycle Gardens and I wanted to do my part to support community gardening.

We arrived around 10:30 for the 8:30 event and it was packed with other do-gooders (okay, drinkers). I ran into a girlfriend I hadn't seen in a year and we caught up; she's still not dating, either.

Probably not your typical list of must-sees, but he sure seemed to enjoy them all. Or maybe it was the sparkling local company.

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

15 comments:

  1. ploughman's!!?! in richmond! i pretty much Lived off of those for months. mmm. i can do without pickled onions, but they still produce nostalgia. sigh! finally, i've been someplace you speak of--mekong. monument ave is usually where i begin when i have to act as a tour guide also--my northern friends really couldn't care less about the civil war, so i try to convince them that they should care about the statues just because they're statues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now you know where to get a ploughman's in rva!

    Your visitors should care because it the only STREET in the entire country desginated by the National Register of Historic Places.

    The American Planning Association also named it one of the Ten Great Streets in the country.

    Tell them to top that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Killing Joke was one of my favorite bands, can't believe you heard them in a bar here!! As always another great episode from your colorful life. And when asked remember- deny, deny, deny!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was pretty awesome since we'd just been talking about them.

    Glad you enjoy reading me. If you think it's colorful, you should hear what I leave out.

    Denying even as I type!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and that's my my biggest laugh thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all about rose-colored intentions, as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so...i'm venturing into society this evening, as i've been invited to two shows by the performers, and one of the shows is at a place called The Courtyard, apparently part of the first friday mayhem. any recommendations for where in richmond i'm supposed to park? i haven't gone out for this sort of thing since...2002. ew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you're venturing into my 'hood tonight? I'm impressed.

    The courtyard performances are a regular event for me. Are you going to see Zac and the Junglebeat?

    Park on Clay Street, two blocks north of Broad and walk down to Adams. Be sure to admire the magnificent architecture of J-Ward as you do so.

    Tonight is the tenth anniversary of First Fridays, so the crowds are likely to be large, just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my. i don't even know how to dress. i'm going to have to break out a lot of temporary tattoos. i actually don't know who i'm going to see--the sound engineer is someone i'm working with and she invited me--but i do hope they go late, as i'm supposed to be at another show at the canal club (also a first) to see the opening band at 8. what a mess!

    thank you for parking recommendation--i will admire the architecture both as i park, and as i walk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't fret. I don't have a single tattoo and they've let me in every month for ten years.

    That's the beauty of rva these days. There are always multiple interesting things to do on any given night.

    Two new experiences in one night; you'll have to report back on how you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. two new experiences AND a semicolon in one night. who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  12. report: i got lost in the north side and almost gave up (the ghost), but i made it back and parked by the black history museum, which my friend lives next door to, and i didn't even realize that's where in town all these wonders go down. the courtyard was Magnificent, and i ran into all these people i know and met all these people i really Needed to know, and what turned out to be one of the most important nights i've had in ages i probably would've skipped entirely had you not given that last little convincing that it'd be worthwhile. so, there you go, your blog Now changes lives! well, my life isn't changed, i don't even know what a changed life means. but--it affected my course of action to quite pleasing results.

    this evening also shined a light on how positively awkward i'd forgotten i am!

    thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So we were finally in the same place at the same time and didn't meet. Too bad, but so glad you got to enjoy the courtyard.

    As for my prodding making a difference in the quality of your evening, I am pleased to hear it.

    Perhaps if you keep getting out more your awkwardness will lessen...or become legendary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes, yes. well, i looked for you, and i thought it'd be easy to find you, but then it turned out that pretty much Everyone there had legs and feet, so that was that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Surely it won't be the last time we are in the same place at the same time.

    ReplyDelete