Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sausage over Werewolves

I stretched my First Friday activities (gallery walking, a sandwich at Lift, music in the courtyard and running into all the usual suspects there) into first Saturday with brunch and a day-late art opening at Sprout this afternoon.

When we arrived, the two outside tables were taken, but inside it was just us.

I was amazed because lately the place has been packed every time I've been in, whether for music or a meal.

And, note to self, now that I know they do happy hour, I can think of any number of friends who'd be inclined to join me there for a glass and some chatting after a hard day at the factory.

Friend and I were both in a sausage mood (but then, when am I not?), made all the better for being local, so she got the sausage scramble and I got the sausage and egg breakfast sandwich.

Farm fresh eggs really are such a lovely difference from your supermarket specimens.

The new art show was by Mike Moses, a local Renaissance man who labels himself a tattooer/artist/researcher.

He also gardens, builds things (like the beautiful suspension frames around his paintings) and makes music.

I'm sure he does even more than that, but that's all he's admitted to me.

The show, "Hair of the Dog," is a series based on accounts from ancient times through the 18th century involving what we now call werewolves.

Being Mike Moses, he even crafted the paintbrushes (of human hair) that he used in this series.

Next time I see him, I'm thinking I'll ask whose hair was involved. Inquiring minds want to know.

As you can probably tell, I'm a long-time fan of the guy (owning one of his 2008 prints), but the new works have a completely different feel than what I have.

There's a dreamy, mythical quality to the new stuff and the frames are standouts for their unique look.

The pumpkin cheesecake recently added to the menu was also tempting, as were the oatmeal wedding cookies sitting on the counter when we'd walked in, but sausage and eggs had killed those dreams and we waddled out into the sunshine.

First Saturdays are so much brighter than First Fridays.

Or do my First Friday activities just make it seem that way?

4 comments:

  1. dear freelance writer, i haven't read this entry yet, but i'm finishing up the mixes for my album and having a terrible time with it. anyway, i trust your aesthetic judgment and know you have wide taste in music, so, i was wondering...this one song, could i convince you to give a listen to the two mixes and tell me if you prefer one over the other, and if you have any reasons why. i have my strong preference, but...it's so difficult and i'm pretty stumped. anyway, please let me know--you could get some scotch out of the deal if you'd like, and my email is stephendfrost at gmail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to get some good tequila out of it because I don't drink Scotch.

    But since you began with compliments about the aesthetic judgment of a stranger, of course I'll listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wonder why i thought scotch was your thing...hm. perhaps i was misled by your blog persona. yes, good tequila, it's a deal. thank you! when and how shall we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "when and how shall we?" the question every girl longs to hear, right?

    I too wonder why you thought Scotch was my thing given how often I bring up tequila (the only thing I drink besides wine).

    And please do expound on what my blog persona is. I would be sincerely curious to hear how I'm perceived.

    At your suggestion, I g-mailed you.

    ReplyDelete