Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Garage Guru

Somewhere in the midst of all that activity in September, my car's state inspection had expired (oops), so I made myself get up at the ungodly hour of 7:50 today and take my Altima in for its annual check-up.

Luckily, the garage is only three blocks away, so I was back by 8:10 and they'd already finished with it by the time I got home from my walk at 9:30, so I walked back over.

Entering the garage, I crowed, "I guess I must have passed" to the owner. "You knew you would. It's a well-built car and you take care of it," he praised me. Of course, that has a lot to do with the two cars I destroyed in my twenties by not taking care of them. Live and learn, I always say.

"Luckily, it doesn't take much," I told him. "A little maintenance, some attention here and there."

"Just like a man," he said, chuckling.

"I could use one of those, too, preferably one as reliable as my car," I told him.

"Yea, a little fine tuning, a little effort and we can make you pretty happy. But cars don't talk back, either," he winked, walking me to my car and opening the door.

"Keep working at the men, Karen. It'll be worth it," he advised, hitting the top of the car for emphasis just before he closed the door.

Who knew that sixteen dollars covered the price to drive legally for another year and get unexpected man advice?

2 comments:

  1. I like your writing style. For the most part you write the way you talk.

    Not many people do that. In fact, I'm of the opinion that most people can't write worth a damn. But you write well.

    Most times you make me smile. Sometimes you make me laugh. Sometimes it's almost like I'm listening to you over dinner.

    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But my writing is much cleaner than my talking, no?

    ReplyDelete