Friday, December 18, 2009

A Winey, Snowy Interlude

Once it started coming down, it came down thick and fast. I actually needed a device to clear snow off my car and it was barely 6:00. I was headed to Carytown and River City Cellars for tonight's wine tasting, Staff Favorites. The road was pretty slushy but completely manageable.

I wasn't in the least surprised at all the people at RCC. And why not; isn't a wine tasting a lovely way to start off a snowy weekend? Lots of people were buying wine and cheese, presumably to enjoy during the Blizzard of '09.

Tonight's wines were all amazing: Boulay 2008 Sancerre Blanc, Tissot 2007 Arbois Chardonnay, Raquillet 2007 Mercurey Rouge "Vieilles Vignes," and Verbena 2007 Rosso di Montalcino. The staff certainly knew what they were talking about. It was difficult choosing just one.

A little girl came in with her family and she had snow caked on her mittens. She couldn't stop admiring them. Someone had a picture of the line at Pleasant's to buy sleds. It looked like Black Friday.

But wine and kids, aren't they what snow is all about?

2 comments:

  1. On this delightfully white winter night I stumbled upon your blog for the first time and I'm so glad I did. Lovely. Richmond is a wonderful place and you totally capture it in all it's glory. I'm a fan now and look forward to becoming an avid reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always pleased to know that I've captured someone's interest. I do hope you'll keep reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete