Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Whose Legs Are Those Anyhow?

I understand that we don't see ourselves as others do.

Intellectually, I get that a two-dimensional image in a mirror bears limited resemblance to a three-dimensional image in space. And yet my reaction when I saw the results of my recent profile shoot with my very talented photographer friend, Thomas was, do I know those legs?

I am especially familiar with this syndrome because of all the years I worked as an audio and video producer. Inevitably, people would react with horror when they first heard/saw their voice/self recorded; part of my job was to reassure them.

So I should have known better.

I looked at the photo he sent me with limited recognition. Oh, sure, the Berlin tights are mine; who else would wear them?

But those calves? I had no idea. And that vague hint of athleticism which I know for a fact doesn't exist in real life?

Not really there.

Seems I need an entire mental adjustment about what I'm walking around on. That said, I do think it's a great picture

I'll just have to deal with my acceptance issues.

1 comment:

  1. Newbs!Screw the legs, show me them pearly's! Love you!

    ReplyDelete